Tropic marin vs brs vs ES-V two part?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using ESV since before I even heard of BRS. Buy in the bulk size buckets to keep costs low.
61JFn-1p3pL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV, I like that it is higher concentration (used BRS 2 part before) and offsets salinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been dosing aquaforest dry two part and it has gone up in price and I just can't seem to make it worth it. I dose so much and heard these companies are more concentrated. So I wanted to ask what you guys think the best option is or what everyone uses or trusts more etc...
I've used brs two part with success before I lost everything to a jebao dosing pump

Both ESV and TM Balling are somewhat preferred to the straight BRS 2/3 part (which is my DIY).

They both keep ions such as potassium and bromide from depleting due to the salinity changes such methods cause which a simpler two part may not.

Functionally, TM Balling and ESV two part make reasonable product claims that put them nearly identical in functionality.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV does include trace elements.

It's more complicated than simple yes or no.

Both ESV and TM Balling include trace elements, but neither is a useful trace element supplement. Other methods need to be employed for that.

All those added elements do is prevent a decline when the salinity is readjusted after lengthy dosing, not offsetting any actual demand in the aquarium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
VanDalsenReef

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more complicated than simple yes or no.

Both ESV and TM Balling include trace elements, but neither is a useful trace element supplement. Other methods need to be employed for that.

All those added elements do is prevent a decline when the salinity is readjusted after lengthy dosing, not offsetting any actual demand in the aquarium.
Would I be able to use the TM A and K trace in the containers of esv then?

EZ eric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in addition to TM hybrid balling method which also uses trace elements A and K we should supplement more trace elements separately?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to use the TM A and K trace in the containers of esv then?

I am not certain of the compatibility within the ESV fluids, sinee it depends on forms of trace elements used.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in addition to TM hybrid balling method which also uses trace elements A and K we should supplement more trace elements separately?

Not sure what you mean by "using trace elements A and K".

What hybrid do you mean?
Using calcium chloride, an alk part (sodium bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide) and Balling Part C will not offset any trace element consumption, and other supplements may be beneficial.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting I always thought that all elements were covered. Any suggestions on dosing procedure in addition to the BRS balling method?

It's a complex question that has no perfect answer. Possibilities range from methods with frequent ICP and individual dosing of many trace elements (Triton and Moonshine methods) to dosing a fixed cocktail (Red Sea, TM, etc) to dosing just one or two selected trace elements (e.g., iron, manganese, silicate, etc).

EZ eric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a complex question that has no perfect answer. Possibilities range from methods with frequent ICP and individual dosing of many trace elements (Triton and Moonshine methods) to dosing a fixed cocktail (Red Sea, TM, etc) to dosing just one or two selected trace elements (e.g., iron, manganese, silicate, etc).
Thank you Randy. TM has an A and K supplement that we’re supposed to add to the 4 part to help maintain essentials. I guess a triton water test will better help get the correct assessment if it’s working correctly. Will post results.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy. TM has an A and K supplement that we’re supposed to add to the 4 part to help maintain essentials. I guess a triton water test will better help get the correct assessment if it’s working correctly. Will post results.

The TM A and K is a fine product, I'm just not sure what exactly it can be mixed with.

Last edited:

EZ eric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I normally add it to the alk and calcium additive. I add 130 ml per gallon and add them as my tank requires. I’ve added my last triton test so you can get an idea of how it maintains my levels. Any insight from you is very much appreciated. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Red Sea 750 - 12_01_2021 (B-0rMGn4).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 26

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back