True? - EcoTech Marine Price increase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They already have by charging their customers for parts rather than fix them unlike Neptune who focuses on customer satisfaction for customer retention. I will NEVER ever forgive Ecotech for the recent and ultimate slap in the face refusing to repair or replace my MP40QD that was shy of 8 months old and implying that it fell into the tank although it looked like new and is a DRY side (duh) and sent it back to me in pieces rather than re-assembling it the way they received it. I then attempted to call a customer relation mgr and left both email and phone message and it has been 9 days without courtesy of a reply. This IS the Service and support they furnish. Just a word of caution.
They lost an 11 year customer and former pet store owner for Life
File a complaint. https://www.bbb.org/us/pa/allentown/profile/aquarium-manufacturers/ecotech-marine-llc-0241-235996571

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralVue did this a while back due to tariffs. Unfortunate fact that most of our stuff even the big name brand items are made in China.

Chinesium ftw [emoji28]. Once the price goes up - it won’t go down have the tariffs go away.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To pay the extra money for a quality product backed by a great warranty is (in my book) well worth the investment.

Do you really consider a 12 month warranty on a nearly $700 product (mp-60) a great warranty? Especially when even during that time period they can just claim that it got wet and not honor the warranty anyway?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really consider a 12 month warranty on a nearly $700 product (mp-60) a great warranty? Especially when even during that time period they can just claim that it got wet and not honor the warranty anyway?

Wait it’s only a 1 year warranty while Fluval gives a 3 year warranty on SP2 pumps and 2 year on wavemakers?!?

Geez - I wish Hagen would step it more and crush these fools.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Spike-Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at a ECO TECH product yesterday that was in stock at BRS. Today the price increased. Can someone explain why the increase applies to in stock items? BRS would have been nice if your fancy site would have notified me the price was increase $15 in one day, just saying. Sad state when companies increase prices on in stock due to new stock costing more. Feels like gas for cars oil goes up and the gas in the tanks just got more expensive. Enough said!!

Faraday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at a ECO TECH product yesterday that was in stock at BRS. Today the price increased. Can someone explain why the increase applies to in stock items? BRS would have been nice if your fancy site would have notified me the price was increase $15 in one day, just saying. Sad state when companies increase prices on in stock due to new stock costing more. Feels like gas for cars oil goes up and the gas in the tanks just got more expensive. Enough said!!

Minimum Advertised Price. Blame EcoTech Marine. There is nothing BRS can do if they want to still be an authorized EcoTech dealer.

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably because i believe ecotech is set pricing by the manufacture. they have to sell it at that date at the price, or risk losing the contract.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum Advertised Price. Blame EcoTech Marine. There is nothing BRS can do if they want to still be an authorized EcoTech dealer.

It’s exactly this. EcoTech has the most Strict MAP policy of all the major brands. They make an price increase - all the vendors are forced to increase even on existing stock to maintain the MAP price.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with Brs, they actually warned customers of the increase and encouraged them to buy it before today.

Spike-Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree and let me explain. BRS will send me a email when I put items in a cart but do not purchase. One of my points was BRS could have included a note on these items that stated price increase coming 2-1-19. That would have saved me some money and gone a long way with a long time customer. I do agree that EcoTech plays a larger role.

Spike-Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with Brs, they actually warned customers of the increase and encouraged them to buy it before today.
I must have missed the note, because when I reviewed the items and put in a cart there was not mention of the increase. But I receive an email later asking if I forgot to purchase. Disappointed on both fronts.

Faraday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree and let me explain. BRS will send me a email when I put items in a cart but do not purchase. One of my points was BRS could have included a note on these items that stated price increase coming 2-1-19. That would have saved me some money and gone a long way with a long time customer. I do agree that EcoTech plays a larger role.

They did send an email on Wednesday with the title "EcoTech Alert! Last chance for 2018 pricing". Maybe not everyone got it?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely,
How many testimonials have you read where Ecotech honored the warranty well past the 12 month period? Personally, I can't count the number of times. I know that we're comparing apples to oranges but how many of those Chinese companies are reinvesting their profits into R&D? I'd venture to say, "None". Although we don't hear about it, Ecotech is constantly improving their product line and it's safe to say they are working on new ideas everyday.

As for the honoring a wet dryside, that's user error. A few years ago, I dropped a brand new mp60 and shattered the casing, who's fault is that? Definitely not Ecotechs. I guess I can complain that the plastic used should've been shatter proof or that the weight of the dryside should've been lighter and adhered to the glass a little better, or I can just take it on the chin and learn from it. I can't speculate what happened in @vetteguy53071 case, but there had to have been irrefutable evidence that the wetside got wet for them to make such an accusation. For me it was a very expensive lesson with no one to blame but myself.

I wouldn't want to live in a world without companies like Ecotech, They're devotion to create a quality product and stand by it is second to none. One can argue that our hobby wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for the innovation of Ecotech.

Last edited:

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely,
How many testimonials have you read where Ecotech honored the warranty well past the 12 month period?

As for the honoring a wet dryside, that's user error. s

I used to hear that a lot. It even happen to me once many years ago when a magnet split and rusted (design flaw). I have not heard of it happens recently though. Most that I hear now are rejected warranty claims. Also, of course no one expects them to replace a dryside if you drop it in water. The point is people have had less than year old drysides start corroding even without being submerged in water. I do think the should be more resistant to moisture damage though since they are attached to an aquarium.

I had them claim moisture damage in a controller years ago as well. I know for a 100% fact it was never submerged or even splashed with water. It was kept under my stand which is obviously a high humidity environment but I feel they should be built to handle that because the vast majority of people keep their equipment there.

OP
OP
reef-rc

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to pricing and what @randyBRS mentioned earlier, I do appreciate the communication and transparency from the company. At the end of the day, we can vote with our wallet. I already cast mine yesterday o_O ;)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you- Filed
This is just the beginning. I will not pay over $400 and accept their poor business practice and just let it go. Then receive it back disassembled in pieces as if it is Garbage while within the warranty period. I paid for a high quality pump and Intend to enjoy what I paid for
I am very much on your side. Make an impromptu YouTube video and present it to the higher-up's via email and ask them to verify for accuracy and any inconsistencies before you post.;) Might get a better response and rattle a few cages.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have missed the note, because when I reviewed the items and put in a cart there was not mention of the increase. But I receive an email later asking if I forgot to purchase. Disappointed on both fronts.

I got their email! Sounds like you aren’t subscribed. How are they supposed to warn you if you are not subscribed to their mailing list?!

Thanks @Bulk Reef Supply for the heads up, I feel like I got 10% off! :)

djEWyV2.jpg

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked me up a M1 Vectra, backup battery and booster cable yesterday. Saved about $50. I've never had any issues with any Ecotech product. Warranty support has been stellar. Anytime I've resold my Ecotech products they have had the highest resale value vs other reefing products. Great products. Yeah the price increase sucks but its also supply and demand. You hear more good things than bad about their products and support. Anything electrical or mechanical could potentially have failures. That's just the nature of the hobby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back