Trying to make a DIY CO2 scrubber/air powered skimmer combo. . . and other shenanigans.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pH in my tanks tend to run a tad low, 7.8ish, and I want to try bumping it up. I was inspired by this thread:

And by the fact that I own a Reef Glass skimmer and one of these:

(Cheaper on Amazon but I can’t post the link)

My ideas is to put a sealed container of CO2 scrubbing media in line with the air pump that powers the skimmer likely using these:

While I wait for the bottle caps in the mail, I wanted to experiment:

I picked up some air-line stuff that was available at my local stores and tried to throw something together. I mostly failed because I had trouble making an airtight seal and or the containers were not actually airtight. That said, I managed to make half of an airtight container to try on my actual skimmer:

I am using the wrong size tubing and I am worried I am restricting airflow to my skimmer. . . But we will see.

IMG_1332.jpeg

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what are your other paramaters?

you can you kalk for a PH boost.
Saturated kalk in my ATO was not enough to keep up with demand so I switched to 2 part dosing.

It’s been a minute since I tested and I don’t have all the numbers in front of me, but approximately pH 7.9 alk 10 cal 360 (upped my dosing) pho 0.1 and nitrate 0 (working in that haha)

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturated kalk in my ATO was not enough to keep up with demand so I switched to 2 part dosing.

It’s been a minute since I tested and I don’t have all the numbers in front of me, but approximately pH 7.9 alk 10 cal 360 (upped my dosing) pho 0.1 and nitrate 0 (working in that haha)
kalk in a ATO is not recommended for a few reasons. Its not a constant dosage and is very had on the ato pump. you should give kalk another try outside of the ato with a reactor or stirrer with the correct dosage. kalk can keep up with the demands provided their not high. It did not work before because you were not dosing the correct amount.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
kalk in a ATO is not recommended for a few reasons. Its not a constant dosage and is very had on the ato pump. you should give kalk another try outside of the ato with a reactor or stirrer with the correct dosage. kalk can keep up with the demands provided their not high. It did not work before because you were not dosing the correct amount.

I think in some situations you are correct, but I also think my demand is too high at this point (alk and cal demand). I agree that ATO dosage is not ideal, however, I was still adding max saturated kalk equivalent to my daily evaporation. So regardless of how I am dosing the max saturated kalk (in ATO or reactor or stirrer) I would have to dose in excess of my daily evaporation to meet my alk and cal need and would then be throwing off my salinity.

Also a word from Randy on stirring kalk: "I agree. Do not stir a reservoir after initial mixing. Keep it closed and unstirred. I did that from a 120 gallon reservoir formed from 3 brute cans plumbed together."

Basically, what I am getting at, is I don't think kalk is going to work for me.

Also, I did experiment with oversaturating kalk with vinegar, however, adding a carbon source to my already low nutrient systems seemed like a bad idea, plus adding vinegar decreased the kalks pH boost (how significantly I do not know) which is what I am after at this point. . .

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back