"Tuning" Reefer 170

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up my new Reefer 170 and for some reason I can not get the overflow to "tune" (that is, where the drain isn't making a loud slurping noise. I believe the Reefer's use a Herbie style drain - which I don't have experience - so not sure if I'm doing something wrong. RedSea recommends a 530 gph return pump and I'm using a Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 pump which is rated at 586 gph. I've tried turning the Sicce all the way up and nearly closing the drain as well as in the inverse turning the Sicce all the way down and fully opening the drain - I've also of course tried incremental adjustments in both scenarios on the drain line itself. What am I doing wrong? o_O

If it helps, it seems the problem is that the water level in the overflow isn't getting high enough to cover the drains regardless of what I change (either flow rate on return pump or drain valve). I've tried manually filling in with extra water in the overflow and it immediately quiets the sound but eventually everything catches back up shortly and the gurgling resumes!

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I was able to get this tuned in. For anyone else that runs into this issue, I found actually closing the drain line all the way and slowly opening it to tune worked better than what Red Sea suggested which was the reverse of this. With the new method, the line tuned in just a few minutes and all sound has been eliminated! :cool:

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a really old and short thread, but are you still happy with the sound level of this tank? I’m really close to getting a Red Sea 170, but haven’t heard one in person.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a really old and short thread, but are you still happy with the sound level of this tank? I’m really close to getting a Red Sea 170, but haven’t heard one in person.

An oldie but a goodie ;) I sold this tank within about 6 months of having it because we decided to build our "dream tank." That said, we did love it when we had it and once it got dialed in successfully it was pretty quiet. I don't believe you'll ever find a tank that doesn't have any sound personally but this was pretty close.

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is silent; it’s amazing you forget it’s even there considered to my old custom setup.

You can really dial it in

RavenSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’ve had a larger tank in the past but downsized and now I’m looking for something simple and easy to care for while I travel.

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank was easy to maintain. Only downfall is the size in the stand, but if you can be creative, it can work nicely.

The sound for me was always quiet except at the very beginning. It was rather annoying until I just left it alone after being frustrated and it calmed down on its own. The following morning I walked out in the living room thinking my tank was off. Happily found it was dead silent.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back