Tuning your CalRx | Alternate method thats too easy

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a solenoid. My needle valve is pretty open, yet it continues to clog that is why I wondered what my other options are.

corey

barista7105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video (thanks mate) and great thread. Following along, I've bought my Carx one year ago but still on the box until now.. Lol. I will set it up asap after reading this thread

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My needle valve is 100% open 100% of the time. I feed it off my manifold. So I could increase the flow from it more, but as it sets it is a nonstop stream of water. So my thinking was cut the needle valve off and keep the flow the same etc but now I have a larger diameter openining. Thus making it harder to clog.

Corey

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My needle valve is 100% open 100% of the time. I feed it off my manifold. So I could increase the flow from it more, but as it sets it is a nonstop stream of water. So my thinking was cut the needle valve off and keep the flow the same etc but now I have a larger diameter openining. Thus making it harder to clog.

Corey

i recommend feeding it off Mj600 or MJ1200 dedicated pump. less flow fluctuations IMO

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Corey
Could work. Might also be easier to first try opening the valve on your manifold a tiny bit more.

Effluent will increase but after a few days of testing you can figure out the new phCarx range you need to keep, to match consumption.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxijet is not an option.

I could open the manifold valve more, I have done that 2 times in the last 3 weeks though and I just want to eliminate having to continually do that. Might look into a Cole Parmer pump and be done with it.

Corey

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxijet is not an option.

I could open the manifold valve more, I have done that 2 times in the last 3 weeks though and I just want to eliminate having to continually do that. Might look into a Cole Parmer pump and be done with it.

Corey
I tried to use this method and I had the same issue as you. I believe it had something to do with pressure in the reactor causing an issue and slowly slowing the stream down. I went with a cole Parmer and never looked back.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What do you guys think my issue is?

I will have my check valve wide open, doesnt clog or anything.

The problem I am having is when I go down sometimes to check it. The PH will either be ***** low at like 5.8 and C02 still pumping in (I know that must be my solenoid, at least I think). I have the milwakee solenoid setup, I may look to replace this

The other problem that happens all the time is the C02 is not powerful enough to go through the check valve so it never turns on and my PH will be around 8. If I take the C02 line out of the check valve then it shoots the bubbles like it is supposed to.

Do you guys just recommend getting a new doser and check valve or is there something else I should be looking for? Also what check valve do you guys use for in between the C02 and Calcium reactor.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think my issue is?

I will have my check valve wide open, doesnt clog or anything.

The problem I am having is when I go down sometimes to check it. The PH will either be ***** low at like 5.8 and C02 still pumping in (I know that must be my solenoid, at least I think). I have the milwakee solenoid setup, I may look to replace this

The other problem that happens all the time is the C02 is not powerful enough to go through the check valve so it never turns on and my PH will be around 8. If I take the C02 line out of the check valve then it shoots the bubbles like it is supposed to.

Do you guys just recommend getting a new doser and check valve or is there something else I should be looking for? Also what check valve do you guys use for in between the C02 and Calcium reactor.
Cody, try to increase pressure on the regulator. That may solve the issue where bubbles won’t go through the check valve.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cody, try to increase pressure on the regulator. That may solve the issue where bubbles won’t go through the check valve.

This may be a really stupid question, but how do I do that?

I have the bottle wide open and I have the bubble count where I want it (when it is working correctly). Then what happens as described above I will go down a couple times a week to find out its not going through the check valve. Then when I take the C02 line off the check valve the bubble count goes INSANE I assume from backed up pressure or I may turn it a little more on the regulator to try to get the C02 to go through.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB6A6A52-A0EA-4D5D-B932-E73763C72A52.jpeg
I am not sure how to do it on your regulator. I was originally having that same issue as well and again I believe it is somehow related to pressure in the reactor changing. I called the carbon doser company and they told me to increase the pressure and it should help. It fix that issue but still never fixed the issue of the stream slowing down. Does your regulator have two gauges? One should be co2 tank pressure and the other controls the bubble size. You want to try and increase the pressure on the one that controls bubble size to see if that helps.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
AB6A6A52-A0EA-4D5D-B932-E73763C72A52.jpeg
I am not sure how to do it on your regulator. I was originally having that same issue as well and again I believe it is somehow related to pressure in the reactor changing. I called the carbon doser company and they told me to increase the pressure and it should help. It fix that issue but still never fixed the issue of the stream slowing down. Does your regulator have two gauges? One should be co2 tank pressure and the other controls the bubble size. You want to try and increase the pressure on the one that controls bubble size to see if that helps.

Thanks, I will call them when I get home for lunch and see if I can figure it out.

It does have two guages

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to mention the pressure I had to run was 14 psi for my regulator to continue to push bubbles through and not the pressure you see in that pic. After switching to a peristaltic pump I lowered it to that pressure.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also just to mention the pressure I had to run was 14 psi for my regulator to continue to push bubbles through and not the pressure you see in that pic. After switching to a peristaltic pump I lowered it to that pressure.

thank you!

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an interesting update. I havent installed the Benz filter yet b/c keep forgetting to get the John Guest fittings. But with the effluent at a constant stream 99% of the time my alk has been stable.

But, if something on my APEX triggers my return pump off (CaRx fed through manifold) my effluent stops obviously. But when turned back on, the effluent does not resume and I need to slightly open and close the Cepex ball valves to resume effluent flow.

Not a big deal. But I am scared of what happens when I go on vacation and no one is there to turn the valve and my CaRx will just stop running. Is there pressure or air built up somewhere I can fix? Or is this something the Benz filter may be able to fix?

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an interesting update. I havent installed the Benz filter yet b/c keep forgetting to get the John Guest fittings. But with the effluent at a constant stream 99% of the time my alk has been stable.

But, if something on my APEX triggers my return pump off (CaRx fed through manifold) my effluent stops obviously. But when turned back on, the effluent does not resume and I need to slightly open and close the Cepex ball valves to resume effluent flow.

Not a big deal. But I am scared of what happens when I go on vacation and no one is there to turn the valve and my CaRx will just stop running. Is there pressure or air built up somewhere I can fix? Or is this something the Benz filter may be able to fix?

I had the same exact issue... and with my auto feeder shutting my return pump off twice a day it was causing a serious issue. I had an extended stay work trip coming up which got me thinking I had to resolve this issue somehow. I ended up getting the new kamor pump and taking it off the return manifold

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back