First post with the piece that inspired me to try reefing (Acan Echinata)

TennesseeXPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals,

Long time lurker finally deciding to join and share pics of the piece I had to have which led to trying full saltwater for the first time, along with some progress with zoas which have quickly become a passion in the 3 months or so my tank’s been up.

I work at a very nice LFS and have always liked coral but this crazy echinata came in that was the most beautiful piece I’ve ever seen so I had to start a tank to accommodate it. Brought it home this past week and it’s thriving. Pics don’t do the number of colors in it justice.

Anyways, thanks for having me and I look forward to getting to know some fellow echinata and zoa enthusiasts! My focus and expertise is pufferfish, hence the name, but they don’t make great reef inhabitants

(Setup: used JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon with inTank media box, Coralife Biocube nano skimmer, and Red Sea Reefer 50 LED light)
IMG_6928.jpeg

IMG_6951.jpeg
IMG_6852.jpeg
IMG_6931.jpeg
IMG_6930.jpeg

OP
OP
TennesseeXPuffer

TennesseeXPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What store did this come from ? Very nice!
The Aquatic Critter in Nashville, along with most of the zoas I’ve acquired. Not sure if it was a piece from ECC, WWC, or one of the other vendors the coral guy orders from but it was unique even amongst a few frags of the same piece.

Thanks a ton!

OP
OP
TennesseeXPuffer

TennesseeXPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Great looking pics, you're off to a very good start!
Thank you! It’s been a fun experience learning about dosing and all, which helps customers I’m assisting have better information for their own tanks. Know a ton about freshwater and brackish but this is a new adventure that’s very rewarding.

OP
OP
TennesseeXPuffer

TennesseeXPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Great looking pics, you're off to a very good start!
Thank you! It’s been fun learning and I wouldn’t have made it this far without at least lurking on here. Looking forward to learning and contributing as I have more experience. Great place for info!

OP
OP
TennesseeXPuffer

TennesseeXPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fam! You have some amazing pieces just based on the GIF so I look forward to learning from you and maybe even finding something unique you don’t have to trade.

Have been in aquatics since I was maybe 6-7 taking care of my own 75 gallon but the coral thing makes me feel like a kid again!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys and gals,

Long time lurker finally deciding to join and share pics of the piece I had to have which led to trying full saltwater for the first time, along with some progress with zoas which have quickly become a passion in the 3 months or so my tank’s been up.

I work at a very nice LFS and have always liked coral but this crazy echinata came in that was the most beautiful piece I’ve ever seen so I had to start a tank to accommodate it. Brought it home this past week and it’s thriving. Pics don’t do the number of colors in it justice.

Anyways, thanks for having me and I look forward to getting to know some fellow echinata and zoa enthusiasts! My focus and expertise is pufferfish, hence the name, but they don’t make great reef inhabitants

(Setup: used JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon with inTank media box, Coralife Biocube nano skimmer, and Red Sea Reefer 50 LED light)
IMG_6928.jpeg

IMG_6951.jpeg
IMG_6852.jpeg
IMG_6931.jpeg
IMG_6930.jpeg
very nice specimens. Love the Zoa star

OP
OP
TennesseeXPuffer

TennesseeXPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice specimens. Love the Zoa star
Thanks a ton! It was a unique piece that came into the store in a box of Real Reef branching rock that seemed perfect to encrust with as many zoas/palys as I can acquire. The only downside is at least one arm will always be facing away.

Still, it makes for an awesome island not everyone has.

OP
OP
TennesseeXPuffer

TennesseeXPuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the welcome from everyone! The zoas and palys I currently have that are named include Bam Bams, Radioactive Green Dragon Eyes, Green Bay Packers, Oompa Loompas, Pink Zippers, Pink Diamonds, Jawbreaker Hornets, Prometheans, and the rest I have some guesses on.

Feel free to give a guess on identifying anything I haven’t listed. Most were acquired as “assorted” from suppliers like WWC and ECC.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back