Turning a HOB overflow into external overflow

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am planning to upgrade my tank and plumbing; I was curious to know if I can turn my HOB overflow into an external overflow to save some money. Thank you all in advance.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon overflows are a recipe for disaster. I highly recommend you do not do this.
I think I may have made an error in my question, I was wondering if I can turn my HOB overflow (receives water from siphon) into an external overflow (receives water from bulkhead). I wouldn't be using a siphon if this were to work.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you should put your DIY skills to the test. :)

Getting them sealed might be tricky if you are looking for anything asthetic. Also make sure that the size you choose can handle the flow. Other than that I can see no harm.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you should put your DIY skills to the test. :)

Getting them sealed might be tricky if you are looking for anything asthetic. Also make sure that the size you choose can handle the flow. Other than that I can see no harm.
Cool, thank you!

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflow boxes are very inexpensive now a days. Marine depot sells them with a drill bit included. Not worth the risk of a leak to save 50-100 dollars

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflow boxes are very inexpensive now a days. Marine depot sells them with a drill bit included. Not worth the risk of a leak to save 50-100 dollars
Well, I'm using my hard-earned money from mowing lawns and recycling cans, so I'm trying to find any way to keep a low bill.

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm using my hard-earned money from mowing lawns and recycling cans, so I'm trying to find any way to keep a low bill.
I’m fairly everyone here earns their money, and isn’t trying to throw it away. It’s simple risk with low reward in my mind, but it’s your risk, so up to you.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back