TV shows nowadays

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't watch much TV, and I never understood why my dad just watches the same old TV shows (Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, etc.) over & over again. But lately I've been paying more attention to some of the "new" TV shows that the wife & I watch at night, and ..... I am starting to understand my dad's reasoning. :p Am I just getting old or have TV shows really become this "talentless"??

Also, what's up with movies these days? How many times can you remake a movie from 20-30 years ago?

/rant over

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I watch live is College Basketball. Other than Ink Master or Monday Night Raw, there's none I'm heavily into. Shark week is a joke for the most part. Good thing is that I can still find "Married With Children" on, Best Show ever.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As one who has worked I film and television production my entire life. You are correct.
And I apologize.

PBS and BBC for me. Fred Rogers was a bad as dude and David Attenborough is a gift from God.

Opps, gotta get ready for work! Time to make the sausage, as we like to say!

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quite agree, tv shows suck... I rather stare at my reef for hours lol.
even children's shows are crude nonsense nowadays.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like in todays world if it isn't reality based or pushing the envelope then it isn't popular. I haven't liked any of the critically acclaimed or popular shows of the last 5 to 10 years. I don't like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad or America's Got Talent. If I do find a show I like it usually gets cancelled after the first season. That is why I like Netflix and Hulu so I can go back and watch older shows I didn't get to see when they were on TV. Heck I usually listen to local radio shows via podcast instead of watching the junk that is on tv now.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch th walking dead and fear the walking dead.
other than that its usually discovery channel or animal planet.

The TV is usually just on for background noise lol.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very little if anything I watch on the usual network channels abc/nbc/cbs. Most of whats worth watching is is coming from the fox channels, amc, tnt, USA etc. In any case though I mostly have become a binge watcher on Netflix where there is no censoring, commercials, mid season breaks, to be continued etc. At that a lot of great shows are Netflix originals. I'm not a patient person but most seasons of stuff on TV, I would watch, I can wait until the full season hits Netflix. Like a book which I typically burn through I don't like being told I'm only allowed to read one chapter a week.

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I cut out cable all together went with roku and Netflix but just found Pluto tv app and they have some better programming found a station called naturetv and watched different reefs from all over the world just cameras setup on the reef so yeah 3 hrs later still the best show I've seen lol soft soothing music I mute to blast something better :)

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch th walking dead and fear the walking dead.
other than that its usually discovery channel or animal planet.

The TV is usually just on for background noise lol.

I've never gotten the background noise part. My wife will be in another room doing work on the computer and have the tv on in the living room. I will ask why the tv is on in a room she is not in and she says she needs the background noise. Now that she bought her a Bluetooth speaker she usually just plays Pandora thru it for noise.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently binging on British TV shows. Most are available on Netflix but I have Acorn TV free for a month.
Foyle's War - really good historical WWII detective inspector thing
Doc Martin - how can you not love this guy? he needs a reef tank .....
Call the Midwife - WARNING, most likely for women only as you see real births every episode but the story line is so wonderful ... really a joy to watch

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I watch live is College Basketball. Other than Ink Master or Monday Night Raw, there's none I'm heavily into. Shark week is a joke for the most part. Good thing is that I can still find "Married With Children" on, Best Show ever.

OK this is gonna sound very hypocritical of me, but I actually like professional wrestling and watch Monday Night Raw on a fairly regular basis. But I just accept it as the ridiculous spectacle that it is. :p I also like NFL and sometimes college football.

I will watch "Big Bang Theory" if it happens to be on; at least that show is original and isn't just a rethread of something from 20+ years ago. I liked "Supernatural" in the beginning but it has just gotten weird now. And I did like Dr. Who when Matt Smith played the title character. Last TV show I can honestly say I was really into was "Jericho" - but that was on 10 years ago and they cancelled it after 2 seasons. Nuts! ;)

I guess I need to go back to watching nature shows again. I miss Steve Irwin. :(

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think TV is in or is just passing out of a golden age. The quality of shows in the past decade has been incredible and pushed TV to new limits. Shows I'm thinking of: Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Orphan Black, Louie, Hannibal, Penny Dreadful, Key&Peele, Mad Men, House of Cards, etc. A few somewhat older HBO shows started this Renaissance, mainly The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, and Six Feet Under. I don't watch all these shows, but I know enough about them to be assured of their quality.

Cheers,
rant

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think TV is in or is just passing out of a golden age. The quality of shows in the past decade has been incredible and pushed TV to new limits. Shows I'm thinking of: Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Orphan Black, Louie, Hannibal, Penny Dreadful, Key&Peele, Mad Men, House of Cards, etc. A few somewhat older HBO shows started this Renaissance, mainly The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, and Six Feet Under. I don't watch all these shows, but I know enough about them to be assured of their quality.

Cheers,
rant

I agree, if you include Netflix/Amazon etc, the past few years have been regarded as probably the best television has ever had to offer. If fact most critics say what you can get on the old **** tube way surpasses the quality that the major movie studios have been putting out.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK this is gonna sound very hypocritical of me, but I actually like professional wrestling and watch Monday Night Raw on a fairly regular basis. But I just accept it as the ridiculous spectacle that it is. :p I also like NFL and sometimes college football.

I will watch "Big Bang Theory" if it happens to be on; at least that show is original and isn't just a rethread of something from 20+ years ago. I liked "Supernatural" in the beginning but it has just gotten weird now. And I did like Dr. Who when Matt Smith played the title character. Last TV show I can honestly say I was really into was "Jericho" - but that was on 10 years ago and they cancelled it after 2 seasons. Nuts! ;)

I guess I need to go back to watching nature shows again. I miss Steve Irwin. :(
Now will they be able to draw over their Raw audience to Smackdown when things change in July? I've got the Network and will say when WWE wants to, it can produce a high quality show (Breaking Ground and their 24). Just wish they'd get back to making the monthly PPV's better (these are free with their network).

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never gotten the background noise part. My wife will be in another room doing work on the computer and have the tv on in the living room. I will ask why the tv is on in a room she is not in and she says she needs the background noise. Now that she bought her a Bluetooth speaker she usually just plays Pandora thru it for noise.

This probably sounds weird. I used to play Competitive Video Games, actually paid to play. Spending hours and hours everyday doing it. After a while I felt "disconnected" from everything else, having the TV on with noise in the background kind of took that feeling away, then it turned into a habit.

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watched an interesting "documentary" on Netflix last night ... in the series called "1970s" ... episode 1 was all about the era of TV that was the 1970s. SO many old shows I had forgotten about and how during that decade we all became slaves to the TV! (MASH ... every day after I got home from school ... I miss chin-less Frank Burns!)

Back