Two eels look very bad following tank crash. need advice.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are still in the treatment tank as of right now. i was planning on returning to the display tank today but they look like they could use more treatment. could i do the quick bath method before returning or would it be pointless. and should i go ahead and add them back to the display or should i continue treatment

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are still in the treatment tank as of right now. i was planning on returning to the display tank today but they look like they could use more treatment. could i do the quick bath method before returning or would it be pointless. and should i go ahead and add them back to the display or should i continue treatment

At this point, their skin/gills should have absorbed enough of the MB. Another round of treatment may be necessary, but I would first return them to the DT for a day or two in order to reassess the situation.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far about an hour back in the display the snowflake looks pretty good but the zebra is not looking much better

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before this all, I was feeding whole shrimp, whole squid, and sometimes oysters

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try whole clams, freeze and defrost in a cup with some water, the shell opens and cut the meat. Another member is having issues with his zebra and I got 2 reading that shrimp aren't the best for them.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched and searched in my area and cannot find raw clams the stores only sell cooked. The shrimp and squid I catch myself and freeze

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you that you can catch live shrimp and squid but you can't find raw clams? What kind of shrimp are you catching? How are you catching them. You've piqued my interest ;)

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stationed in South Mississippi. I wade out at night with my hand net and catch Glass shrimp and common squid which usually are 2-6 inches, I also catch my own oysters to feed to them. I have many seafood markets here and none will carry raw clam. I got a quote from one who said for him to order raw clams in it would be about 75$ for a dozen which is rediculous

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stationed in South Mississippi. I wade out at night with my hand net and catch Glass shrimp and common squid which usually are 2-6 inches, I also catch my own oysters to feed to them. I have many seafood markets here and none will carry raw clam. I got a quote from one who said for him to order raw clams in it would be about 75$ for a dozen which is rediculous

Sorry I just thought that was weird. I swear when we visit Galveston we are able to get clams to steam ourselves. We dont because I'm not a fan of them, but oh well. You might try feeding frozen silversides. I use them with no issues for my snowflake eel.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get them about 50 cents a piece up here. So ya $75 is way steep, highway robbery some would say.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm thinking of oysters and clams are a northern thing. Hmmmm. I need to bone up on my seafood choices by the gulf.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if this zebra does not get any better is there a humane way to euthanize him? I feel bad and don't know what else I should do.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back