Unhappy with T5s. What do u suggest?

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using T5s on my lps tank and I an not very happy with the color of the tank or corals. It's a 24" 4-bulb Tek fixture. I just can't seem to get that radium look. They are also bleaching out a couple of the chalices. I would like to know what you all are using, those of u with LPS. I moved the chalices over to the radium tank and they look 10x better already. I really think I might scrap the T5 thing. Thoughts?

I have used these combinations: (front to back)

B+
B+
Special
B+

B+
B+
Special
ULV SA

ULV SA
B+
Special
ULV SA

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well you are bleaching your chalices because t-5 put out allot of light. Most epople underestimate the light they put out. plus they are not a point source so they hit the corals from more directions. Chalices require low light. You can try shortening you photoperiod. You can also shade the part of the tank with the chalices.

Whats wrong with the color of the light? Not blue enough?.. The one nice thing about t-5 is if you are not happy with the color change out a lamp.

Dave

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Looks like I'll be selling a fixture soon. :D

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give T5 another chance.

I like T5 so much that I'm in the process of building a t5 frag tank.

58 Oceanic Tek with 6 36" T5s

Not sure my bulb selection yet but I think I'm gonna go with most UVL and ATIs to start out.

ATI Blue+
UVL SA
ATI AquaBlu
AIT Blue +
UVL SA
UVL 50/50

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,

Have a Tek light over a grow out tank as well. To get colors, and not bleach things I use a lot of blue bulbs..... Actinic +, Pure Actinic + and with the LPS (esp acans like you were discussing in other threads) a fiji purple. Then a single aquablue lightens the whole thing up. I have an 8 light fixture.

I agree with what others said above. The T5's seem to be a lot of light sometimes and can bleach some things, keep other things from opening, and make other things perk up and smile. Lots of experimentation.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would find it hard to bleach anything with a tek T-5 fixture...i have the same one, Ive never gotten great color either, but Ive had SPS 4 inches below it that wouldn't color up...

I personally thing that if you want to go the T-5 route, you need to overdrive them with an Icecap ballast. if you compare side by side, they are 3x brighter than regular HOT5's.

Certainly a radium halide is going to give WAY more light than any normal combo of t5's. Just my 2 cents, but Ive had the same fixture with the same bulbs, and never could bleach something if i wanted too.

I'm not saying it cant be done, but i have a hard time believing its just the lights. Is it in a separate system when its under the radium? or just switching the lights?

OP
OP
143gadgets

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. They are on the same system. Only difference is lighting. I thought it would be hard to bleach them but it happened. They don't seem as bright as the mh, but apparently they are. I oke the way the Aussies look under them, but again I think they look better under the radiums.

dieselab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are running a 3:1:1 ratio of Blue Plus:Aquablue:UVL SA. That makes the tank look too blue. Add some aquablues to help achieve the 14K you are looking for. What I would go with is a 6 ATi Aquablue, 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI ProColor and 1 UVL SA.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tek 6 bulb fixture.

Actinic +
Actinic +
Fiji Purple
Korallen Coral Light
Actinic+
Super Actinic

I love the way the tank looks and i love the color of my corals. I used to have two fiji purples on the system but i just took one out and added another ac + because the red and pink was honestly popping out just fine with 1 bulb after dong some experimentation.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back