Unidentified red and pink dots on dry rock

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

Today I went and bought myself some rocks i dont know what they are called. But after coming back hone I noticed sone red and pink spots on the rocks. The rocks were dry although had rain showers on them fron time to time at leadt it was looking like it has gotten rain showers as they were sitting outside.

Could some one out there let me know what Im facing with and if I should be worried about it or not???

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was going to say cyano, but looking at that first picture, I think I'm seeing a mouth in the middle and it free standing off the rock (specifically the one on the left and the one middle, top). If that's the case, I'm saying they are a mushroom.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do with them? Are they safe for my tank? I can go and get some closer look photos

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was the rock left dry? I'm assuming it was temporarily left out of water and then placed in water. Mushrooms won't survive over days if left out of the tank.

Can't tell, but again assuming these showed up once you placed the rock in your tank (with water).

If it helps, here are examples of mushrooms....note the mouth in the center:

RedMushroom_ACardinalisWRCo_C76.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were on the rock when I got them they were dry and according to the guy they were brought up from malaysia to norther Iraq in containers. And they were in big bags. I have added some more photos for further identification

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tried to rub them out but they were hard and sticked to the rock.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I can't tell from your picture, but does it have a mouth in the center.....like these:

3abc4181a74ef0ace741331285d705c4.jpg

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it doesnt Seem to have a mouth it looks like there are tenticles, i have placed the rocks in fresh water it is not salted.

They are hard to scrub and i rinsed them with water alot and they didnt come off at all. I thought they might be formations of coralline algae :(

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @ReefQueen looks like sponge or similar i have some of what looks similar on the underside of rocks... puffs up when happy flattens and hardens when mad. Ill try and get pics when i get home

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are dead then it is ok to add them with the rock to the tank I will be doing my design and add them to my tank the soonest I clean them. I had another bigger rock around 28 lbs and I had it sitting in bleach for 48 hours now it is clean I have rinsed it several times and now sitting under sunlight to dry up and evaporate the remaining bleach in the pores. There is nothing in the tank yet so I guess it should be fine to add the rock to go with the cycling.

I have been testing the water all my reading are as follows:

PH: 8.4
ammonia: zero
phosphate: zero
nitrate:zero
nitrite: zero

My tank specs are:

387 liters approx. 102 US gallons
and I have 67 lbs of rock I will get some more around 11 - 15 lbs more

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 9
jebao sw8 wave maker
Newa 4500 return pump
44 lbs of sand bed
polyester filter
activated carbon

since I dont have my refractometer yet I cannot add more salt to the tank, however I have added 10 Kgs = 22lbs

what I have in hand as additives:

reeflowers bacteria feeder 85ml
Prodibio Biodigest 30 vials ( will get this soon with refracto meter)
reeflowers coralline algae accelerator

The tank has been running for 10 days now and 4 days with salt added.

Your suggestions, guidance and recommendations are highly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bring the rock back from where you got them.
Buy LR with dark purple Coraline, or go to BRS and buy the Live/dry rock. I did, and couldn't be happier!

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely keep and use those rocks. They are very nicely shaped and there is nothing wronh with them.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bring the rock back from where you got them.
Buy LR with dark purple Coraline, or go to BRS and buy the Live/dry rock. I did, and couldn't be happier!

I dont live in America, I live in Northern Iraq with a non-stop flight it will take 13+ hours, here they dont have a healthy aquarium that I can get a piece of live rock with coraline algae on them.

I would definitely keep and use those rocks. They are very nicely shaped and there is nothing wronh with them.

Do you know what they are called? I will definitely keep and use them I have already designed something in my mind and lets see what happens when it comes to implementation.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the samething on my dry pukani rock I tryed to scrape it off but it hard. They do t seem to be getting any bigger.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like Pukani rocks.

The red foraminifera are skeletons - they've been dead for months or years, and will have zero effect on your tank.

Pukani rock is one of the better rocks to start with, as it's got tons of tiny spaces inside for bacteria to thrive and process waste in. It's also got larger openings where copepods can find refuge or fish can sleep through the night.

Cure that rock, get a good population of bacteria growing in it, place it in your tank with maybe a few pieces of liverock that's already got bacterial or coralline algae cultures growing in or on it, and confidently build a happy reef aquarium.

This stuff is just fine.

~Bruce

Back