OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added the rocks to my tank and let the tank cycle with them in it :)

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I did yesterday I added the rock to the tank. Today in the morning I checked the water parameters and the photos show the results.

The question is am Ion the right track?

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things are getting started!

You'll want to watch the ammonia rise and fall, followed by the nitrite, and then see nitrate begin to ramp up. (And you may want to remain aware that _sometimes_ the API ammonia test will read a low-level false positive. If you see the nitrite rise and then fall to zero, followed by a rise in nitrates, but ammonia is still reading a pesky 0.25 - consider a different brand of test kit to confirm.)

Have you added any bacteria? Are you adding a food source for them? (A cocktail shrimp can do the job - as it decays, it'll produce ammonia for the bacteria to consume.)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ammonia started with the dead organisms that came on the rock. I will keep track of the parameters on a daily bases and will share them here to know where Im heading.

I have not added any bacteria yet and I dont know how and where to get them, do they come from rotten food or shrimp as you mentioned?. I have reeflowers bacteria feeder and will be getting prodibio biodigest 30 vails in a couple days. but for the bacteria no idea on how to get them form in my tank. Im pre beginner in this so you can say a beginner of a beginner :) so getting information in here is one of my main sources to really rely on

Thankfully people like you here guide me on what to do and how to do :)

Thanks a bunch
QB

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are bottled bacteria products, such as BioSpira or Dr. Tim's One and Only, which can be purchased - though I don't know what their availability is where you are.

Another option would be to take a small piece of liverock from an established reef, which will already have nitrifying bacteria colonized on it, and place that into your tank. Over a few to several weeks, the bacterial colonies will spread to your rock, making it "live" as well.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, my issue is I think i will not be able to find any source of bacteria any time soon then. I will have to find some one to ship me from turkey. Even the worst established tanks here will not give me a piece of rock as there is no sense of sharing :(

I will let the tank run and start looking if someone can send me a bottle of available bacteria culture products from Turkey our only reliable neighbour in the region

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person has those I have to talk to him and see what he has to offer me, if he agreed to provide me with some rock or part of his filtration sponges or anything like that would be enough right?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - any hard surface that bacteria can colonize on, including old filter sponges. (Be aware that there are other things that might come riding in on the same surfaces, some good - some not-so-much. If his tank is healthy, then great - if he's got ich or velvet in his system, it might be a good idea to run yours without fish for a while, to starve those organisms out.)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me on how to do a proper reading with the chart that comes with api test kit? Should I look from top of the test tube or side? From the photos could someone identify my readings? Also im starting to notice the water is turning yellowish is it normal??

Sorry too many questions but im a beginner and have no clue at the beginning stages

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me on how to do a proper reading with the chart that comes with api test kit? Should I look from top of the test tube or side? From the photos could someone identify my readings? Also im starting to notice the water is turning yellowish is it normal??

Sorry too many questions but im a beginner and have no clue at the beginning stages

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG
Just like that. Squint your eye a bit and you'll see the contrast, not just color.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it correct to say

Ammonia 0.50
Ph 8.4
Nitrite 0.50
Nitrate 5.0

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with the API kit. The Red sea was much better.
Either way, the color thing sucks. I like the Hanna checker...

Ahbaloch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure out what was the red spot, cuz i have them over my rock

Back