Upgrading to Reactors

Adamsbrou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I’m running GFO and Chempure blue in media bags in my sump and I carbon dose with vinegar, but I still have elevated phosphates and nitrates and was thinking of upgrading to reactors. I was looking at the BRS reactors they have a carbon and GFO dual reactor and I was also thinking about running bio pellets. Can I run all three in series? Is the 1.5 hp pump be powerful enough to run all three reactors? Is there a specific order you would recommend me running them?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I’m running GFO and Chempure blue in media bags in my sump and I carbon dose with vinegar, but I still have elevated phosphates and nitrates and was thinking of upgrading to reactors. I was looking at the BRS reactors they have a carbon and GFO dual reactor and I was also thinking about running bio pellets. Can I run all three in series? Is the 1.5 hp pump be powerful enough to run all three reactors? Is there a specific order you would recommend me running them?
There shouldn’t be much back pressure in these reactors. Also, flow is relatively low to minimize media particle attrition.

As for reactor order, since GFO can strip phosphate, place it after the biopellet reactor.

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, what did you end up doing? There is a BRS sale going on, and also posted a really long thread that you pretty much summarized in one paragrahp :)

I am mostly looking at a Biopellet reactor, as that would bring down Nitrates and stabilize your Phosphate (in my understanding). That's why I wanted to confirm it as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, what did you end up doing? There is a BRS sale going on, and also posted a really long thread that you pretty much summarized in one paragrahp :)

I am mostly looking at a Biopellet reactor, as that would bring down Nitrates and stabilize your Phosphate (in my understanding). That's why I wanted to confirm it as well.

IMO, I'd skip biopellets in favor of liquid organic dosing. It is much easier to control the dose and timing (i.e., not when O2 is naturally low) with a dosing pump than to adjust biopellets.

reeferJMX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Thank you for your response. Is this the same as dosing distilled vinegar? I believe the OP already stated that on his original post, and he is considering adding a biopellet reactor (and maybe combining all three in my understanding).

I did start a thread, giving some background on what I have done so far for my particular aquarium. Someone also advised me on distilled vinegar dosing to eat up my slowly elevating Nitrates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same as dosing distilled vinegar? .

Not sure I understand the question. IF you mean is my statement about liquid organic dosing and vinegar dosing the same, then yes, although there are other liquid organics one can use as well, such as vodka, NOPOX, etc.

Yes, I understand the OP asked about a biopellet reactor, and he got reasonable answers about it, but I was suggesting a better plan (IMO) to skip the biopellets entirely. :)

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shouldn’t be much back pressure in these reactors. Also, flow is relatively low to minimize media particle attrition.

As for reactor order, since GFO can strip phosphate, place it after the biopellet reactor.

I'm a BP user and I would remind you that the BP will create bacterial mulm which is designed to exhaust near a skimmer where it will be removed. Feeding it to a reactor downstream will quickly clog it and require more frequent cleaning. For example, it covered my ATO sensor and locked it up good. Lucky no issues, but could have been bad if I was in an ATO run-away scenario and my leak sensor also failed.

All in all, BP have worked for my system after the break in period since I'm not trying to tightly control NO3. Mine stays very stable in the 10-15 range and I know when it's time to replenish when it gets closer to 20s for me.. aside from seeing a near empty BP chamber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back