Urgent Help Please - Heavy Breathing Tangs in Quarantine

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a s,mall Desjardini and small Powder Blue tang 8 days ago. For three days they showed no signs of illness. No visual signs of ich, infections, parasites. Healthy appetite.

I originally intended to quarantine and observe but based on a lot of advice I decided to treat with cupramine prophylactically. On day 3 I started raising the copper level to .5 over the course of 2 days as instructed on the product (perhaps too quick?).

On the third morning of copper treatment both tangs were breathing and opening and closing their mouths rapidly. The Desjardini had stopped eating and looked to be losing weight rapidly. Otherwise both still looked fine visually with no apparant sores or parasites, strange swimming, gasping at the surface etc. I tested the ammonia (0), copper (.5) and salinity (1.026). I did a precautionary 60% water change anyway.

I came home that evening and found them still breathing rapidly. Desjardini still not eating, powder blue eating like a grub, both breathing rapidly, no other apparent visual signs of illness. I tested again. Salinity and ammonia still fine, but the copper was still at .5 despite the 60% water change. I repeatedly tested copper levels and was really careful when raising the levels initially so I was surprised by this. I did another 80% water change. They seemed to respond well and their breathing slowed down.

This morning I woke up and found them breathing rapidly again. I am at a loss and concerned for their welfare. I can't seem to find a possible diagnosis online. There's a possibility that I overdosed copper initially (although I am confident because I was cautious and repeatedly tested). Even so there should be very limited copper in the system now and the symptoms persist.

Am I missing something? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tank is 40 litres, seeded with a sponge filter and air pump (in DT sump for months). Water 26 decrees Celsius. Small pump for water movement in tank. Using recently purchased Salifert test kits and refractometer.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is amiss. If you did a 60% WC and the copper level was .5ppm prior to it isn't possible to be at .5ppm post WC.

.5 x .6 =.3ppm So post 60%WC the Cu level should have been down to .2ppm

Tangs seem to do much better in a chelated copper product like copper power IME.

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’ve got your bases covered pretty well to me. You’ve done water changes and are sure you don’t have ammonia. Is the powerhead in the tank pointed at the surface for oxygenation?

It's not a powerhead. Just a tiny return pump that I have rigged a gooseneck on to get lateral water movement. Plenty of movement on the surface between that and the air bubbles from the sponge filter. I had a glass lid with the corners cut of on the tank but I removed it when I did the last water change because it was the last thing I could think of that might be wrong.

I

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is amiss. If you did a 60% WC and the copper level was .5ppm prior to it isn't possible to be at .5ppm post WC.

Agree, I'm putting that down to a faulty test done in a mild panic. Mostly because of how careful I was with reaching the .5 level.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, I'm putting that down to a faulty test done in a mild panic. Mostly because of how careful I was with reaching the .5 level.

I would consider adding a powerhead and using it to agitate the surface heavily. Cover the tank with mesh. Like 1/4" clear screen. Glass tops and medicated tanks don't get along well.

These meds weigh heavily on the oxygen level in the water column. Some are worse than others.

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These meds weigh heavily on the oxygen level in the water column. Some are worse than others.

Will do. I'm new to this and thought that reducing evaporation would reduce stress from salinity fluctuations but didn't realise that the meds could reduce oxygen levels. I'll up the circulation and surface agitation.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I'm new to this and thought that reducing evaporation would reduce stress from salinity fluctuations but didn't realise that the meds could reduce oxygen levels. I'll up the circulation and surface agitation.
Sure thing. The are a lot of little tricks like that that make QT so much easier. The rate that salinity changes via evaporation is so slow it shouldn't stress the fish. I only top off QTs every few days.

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks - Just following on from your advice, we are in the midst of a mini heatwave here. Is it possible that the combination of a glass lid, copper and slightly elevated temperatures in the tank could reduce oxygen levels significantly?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terminate the drug. Stop the treatment and get them into a non-medicated tank. Let the fish recover from a possible adverse reaction and observe for 2-3 days and see if the rapid breathing goes away or if the fist begin to break out.

In the downtime...order a different copper tester like the Hanna and change over to chleated copper. I've used cupramine for years and this is abnormal for those fish at that level. You may have a bad bottle of copper. Perfect time to switch over to copper power. ;)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. The are a lot of little tricks like that that make QT so much easier. The rate that salinity changes via evaporation is so slow it shouldn't stress the fish. I only top off QTs every few days.

I draw a line on the side of my QT. I fill it daily to keep my therapeutic level.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks - Just following on from your advice, we are in the midst of a mini heatwave here. Is it possible that the combination of a glass lid, copper and slightly elevated temperatures in the tank could reduce oxygen levels significantly?
Heat is another issue. Elevated temp + covered lid + medication = super low oxygen levels.

The cooler the water the higher the oxygen exchange will be. I keep QTs around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. My DT is higher at 78.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draw a line on the side of my QT. I fill it daily to keep my therapeutic level.
I use large tanks so it's not much of an issue for me. I make sure I'm fully topped off when dosing/testing. I never have to add more than .5gallon every few days.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use large tanks so it's not much of an issue for me. I make sure I'm fully topped off when dosing/testing. I never have to add more than .5gallon every few days.

That works...I use small tanks so I can man handle them. Larger tanks are better because of the water volume. When you have 500 dionspores in a 5 gallon...it's nothing nice. o_O But...I use 10-20 gallon tanks. Anything bigger and I can't transfer that easily. I like being able to transfer in a split second. ;Happy

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I'm heading home shortly so fingers crossed. I think that low oxygen is the most plausible reason. I'll get some more flow going and run carbon to remove the little remaining copper left.

Honestly, I'll get a Hanna checker before I ever run copper again (if I run it again) or go to TTM. This is my second bad experience with copper.

Admittedly, it's only a contributing factor here and both times I blame inexperience on my part but without confidence in the test method I just can't do it i good conscience again. The reference chart on the Salifert kits jumps from .25 to .5 to 1.0. It just seems too imprecise a measure for use of a poison on sensitive animals.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I'm heading home shortly so fingers crossed. I think that low oxygen is the most plausible reason. I'll get some more flow going and run carbon to remove the little remaining copper left.

Honestly, I'll get a Hanna checker before I ever run copper again (if I run it again) or go to TTM. This is my second bad experience with copper.

Admittedly, it's only a contributing factor here and both times I blame inexperience on my part but without confidence in the test method I just can't do it i good conscience again. The reference chart on the Salifert kits jumps from .25 to .5 to 1.0. It just seems too imprecise a measure for use of a poison on sensitive animals.

Yep, which is why most of us have converted to Hanna Copper testers. I use CHEMetrics and Hanna. Good luck!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like these folks have you covered! Agree all around with removing/lowering copper for the fish to recoup and start eating again as well as oxygen being the likely culprit. Better safe than sorry!!

Tagging along!

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, thanks again for the advice.

Update - I went home last night, did another water change to remove any remaining copper and put a fresh bag of carbon in just to make sure. I have ramped up the flow and surface agitation significantly. The quick breathing and mouth opening has reduced significantly. This morning the Desjardini took a shy nip at a pellet which is more than I have seen it eat in 2 days.

It seems most likely that the tank was oxygen depleted. I've read up on the process a lot but I seem to have missed the possibility of the copper adversely affecting oxygen levels. Lesson learnt!

I guess I have a couple of decisions to make about how I do this in future and what to do with these two fish.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back