Use Apex to control Jebao powerhead?

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I recently set up an Apex controller for my aquarium, and I'm thrilled with its capabilities in managing and monitoring my tank. It's made me keen on having more control over my equipment. However, I've noticed that each piece of reefing equipment comes with its own controller box, which is starting to take up considerable space in my equipment cabinet and make it a challenge for cable management (see attached photo). Given that I seldom interact directly with them, I'm looking for ways to integrate and streamline their functions.

Is there a method to bypass these individual controllers and integrate the equipment directly with the Apex system? While I'm aware of the various Apex modules, none seem universally applicable. For instance, I'm looking to connect a Jebao powerhead, which currently links to its controller via a 3-pin socket, but I haven't found a suitable module for this.

My setup includes two Jebao controllers, one Reef Octopus VarioS-2 controller, and one Tunze 3155 ATO controller. One idea I had was to use an oscilloscope to reverse engineer the controller signals and then perhaps rig something with a Raspberry Pi, but this seems quite labor-intensive. Before diving into such a project, I'm curious if there are any existing solutions or advice from the community on this matter.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 3.00.21 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 3.00.32 PM.png

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Check this out. It should work. Ironically enough this was my LFS until about 5 years ago. I still follow them on FB and saw them post it yesterday.

They also sell them here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out. It should work. Ironically enough this was my LFS until about 5 years ago. I still follow them on FB and saw them post it yesterday.

They also sell them here.

Thanks! It seems that the adapter needs to work with the neptune Pumps Control Module, I'll consider this as a potential solution unless I come across a better alternative. Ideally, I'm hoping to find or create a DIY all-in-one module to avoid accumulating various Neptune modules.

Upvote 0

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks! It seems that the adapter needs to work with the neptune Pumps Control Module, I'll consider this as a potential solution unless I come across a better alternative. Ideally, I'm hoping to find or create a DIY all-in-one module to avoid accumulating various Neptune modules.
Unfortunately you’ll never be able to create your own module. Neptune Systems will never allow it. This is likely the best you can get.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back