Used vs. New saltwater Supplies: Your perpective

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to saltwater/reef tanks , I was wondering what supplies people would be willing to purchase used and what they would only purchase new?

This might help me, and others new to saltwater/reefing, maybe save a bit on initial amd future builds. I would assume this would automatically exclude perishable supplies, but i may be wrong. Please let me know your thoughts.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a used acrylic tank, stand, sump, return pump, (extra return pump included) wave makers and a bunch of anticilary stuff from a guy who was taking his tank down to remodel the house. I got all of the above for roughly the same price as the empty tank new, by itself. I brought it home and reassembled it and my wife now has a fish tank that she wanted for a fraction of the price of new.
d fish.jpg
The back wall looks better now that the coraline algae is growing and I did get a new light that covers the entire tank. This was it when I first set it up, I had the live rock collection in my garage for the instant cycle.

I didn't buy the lights or algae reactor that was also available. They were not what I wanted (too low par for an anemone) and they were also very cheap but they didn't fit my plans. I generally would not have bought a used pump, lights, heater, because these things wear out and I don't want to be dissappointed when/ if they fail quickly or have to deal with them when they do fail.

Upvote 0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really varies by item and price. For sure I’m not buying any used consumables or testing kits. “Mission critical” things like heaters and return punps maybe if they were in great condition and not too old. As far as lights, skimmers, powerheads, if the price is fair I’d consider it. Buying a used tank makes me nervous but I know plenty of folks who know how to inspect used tanks and pickup great deals.

Upvote 0

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always felt more comfortable buying new. Def a hobby of patience so I've typically taken the same approach when buying things I want / need... Saving and buying later if needed. Odds are you will eventually blow through your "budget" regardless... So may as well do it from the start :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always felt more comfortable buying new. Def a hobby of patience so I've typically taken the same approach when buying things I want / need... Saving and buying later if needed. Odds are you will eventually blow through your "budget" regardless... So may as well do it from the start :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I am totally getting that by now. Blowing through and beyomd budget, but i cannot wait to have it up and running.

Upvote 0

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think used are reasonable for starter systems in proper locations/budgets as well as getting your feet wet in the hobby (pun intended)
I.E. purchasing being aware that seals may be old and break so planning location accordingly.
Don't buy SUPER expensive fish and corals in case a pump blows or heater dies.

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are very few things I would not prefer to buy used. I won't pay much of a premium for new on just about anything. The key factor is how well it holds it's value. If I can buy a new xyz light for $500 or two year old xyz light used for $450 then I will pay the extra $50 for the warranty and piece of mind that comes with new. If the price difference is much more than that though then I going used.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are very few things I would not prefer to buy used. I won't pay much of a premium for new on just about anything. The key factor is how well it holds it's value. If I can buy a new xyz light for $500 or two year old xyz light used for $450 then I will pay the extra $50 for the warranty and piece of mind that comes with new. If the price difference is much more than that though then I going used.
Makes total sense. I would do the same fpr the new equipment. Still looking around for some items and appreciate the feedback.

Upvote 0

jman4x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used is def a great option on a lot of equipment!!! Heck I may even have some laying around message me whatever you’re looking for!
Happy Reefing!

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back