Using Baking Soda?

MarlinMan11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm just about ready to order a small CUC for my 10 gal tank (thanks to you guys I know what to buy) but I have one last concern before I purchase. My alkalinity is about 80ppm and I don't think that's good enough. My pH is also ~7.8 and I'd like to get it to 8.1-8.4. I've heard that baking soda will help do this, but the forums I've read were not very helpful to me. How much should I add? I have no sump btw. Thanks for answers in advance.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 1/4 tablespoon of baking soda in my 40 breeder 20 sump with every water change, and with every refill of my ATO.
BRS has a calculator that you can use to calculate how much to use.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/
Choose Alkalinity Calculator
Enter your water volume
Enter your current Alk
Enter what you want your Alk to be at
And choose Dry Sodium Bicarbonate
And it'll tell you how much to add to raise your alk up, and MAKE SURE to do it slowly. A raise in alk over a short period of time will shock the system.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s best to make it into a gallon solution and dose it into sump slowly.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) aka:”arm and hammer”, 1 1/8 cup dissolved into a gallon jug of RO/DI water.

Using this calculator: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Go slow when adding and to a high flow area, best in sump. Adjust no more than 1 dkh per day.

This will not raise ph, but lower it temporarily.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding something like baking soda to adjust alk and ph can work, but not a good long term solution. If you continually have to add, get at the root of the problem

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding something like baking soda to adjust alk and ph can work, but not a good long term solution. If you continually have to add, get at the root of the problem

Adjusting alkalinity is common in hard coral tanks, especially SPS dominated systems.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusting alkalinity is common in hard coral tanks, especially SPS dominated systems.
Yup, don't know why I said alk, meant to say ph. Althou worth mentioning alk and ph work hand in hand. Meaning when one goes up or down, so does the other, usually.

Unlike cal and alk, which are opposite. Meaning when one goes up or down the other does the opposite.

And when magnesium is out of range on the low side, both alk and cal become hard to keep steady, and corals are less able to absorb

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm just about ready to order a small CUC for my 10 gal tank (thanks to you guys I know what to buy) but I have one last concern before I purchase. My alkalinity is about 80ppm and I don't think that's good enough. My pH is also ~7.8 and I'd like to get it to 8.1-8.4. I've heard that baking soda will help do this, but the forums I've read were not very helpful to me. How much should I add? I have no sump btw. Thanks for answers in advance.

If your alkalinity is that low, other parameters (e.g. calcium) are likely very low as well. In this case, you may be better off performing a series of water changes to bring everything back up to more appropriate levels (I'm just guessing at your other levels so double check to make sure this is applicable). Dont use the soda ash to chase pH.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, don't know why I said alk, meant to say ph. Althou worth mentioning alk and ph work hand in hand. Meaning when one goes up or down, so does the other, usually.

Unlike cal and alk, which are opposite. Meaning when one goes up or down the other does the opposite.

And when magnesium is out of range on the low side, both alk and cal become hard to keep steady, and corals are less able to absorb

Alkalinity and calcium are consumed together so if one goes down, so does the other. The pH would be influenced by CO2 levels, not alkalinity.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity and calcium are consumed together so if one goes down, so does the other. The pH would be influenced by CO2 levels, not alkalinity.
Yes c02 will effect ph as well, which is why I said get to the root of the problem

And yes both alk and cal can/will go down together on a longer term time scale. On a shorter time scale, the opposite

With op at 80ppm /5dkh alk you may be right because/and it is way low. A simple calcium check by op will confirm

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes c02 will effect ph as well, and yes both alk and cal can/will go down together on a longer term time scale

Not as well, solely.
Yes c02 will effect ph as well, which is why I said get to the root of the problem

And yes both alk and cal can/will go down together on a longer term time scale. On a shorter time scale, the opposite

With op at 80ppm /5dkh alk you may be right because/and it is way low. A simple calcium check by op will confirm

Why would Ca levels rise if alkalinity dropped?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW low pH and low Alk are signs of high co2 levels.

One very effective method is to balance out the tank with macro algae or use an algae turf scrubber.

my .02

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also comments on how raising alk will make cal go down, and vise verse. In pretty much the beginning of the read if memory serves me.

It's a very good read if you'v never, and I do not wish to argue. Just trying to help/guide a fellow reefer.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One very effective method is to balance out the tank with macro algae or use an algae turf scrubber.

my .02

CO2 levels shouldn't have any effect on alkalinity.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my .02
Yup. And a refugium might be better at doing this because an ats is pretty much all water to air surface. So if the c02 level is high where the ats is functioning to start with, the exchange is not too beneficial

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also comments on how raising alk will make cal go down, and vise verse. In pretty much the beginning of the read if memory serves me.

It's a very good read if you'v never, and I do not wish to argue. Just trying to help/guide a fellow reefer.

Are you referring to precipitation?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to precipitation?
Of course precipitation plays a role. On one hand you say ph going up or down doesn't usually or generally effect alk in the same way, and on the other you say that alk and cal does. So I'm trying to be kind, and you clearly have some understanding, but clearly not a broad one. While I'm not stating that i do have an almighty understanding, I'm smart enough to listen to people who do so I can learn something

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course precipitation plays a role. On one hand you say ph going up or down doesn't usually or generally effect alk in the same way, and on the other you say that alk and cal does. So I'm trying to be kind, and you clearly have some understanding, but clearly not a broad one. While I'm not stating that i do have an almighty understanding, I'm smart enough to listen to people who do so I can learn something

What I stated: "The pH would be influenced by CO2 levels, not alkalinity."
What I stated: "Alkalinity and calcium are consumed together so if one goes down, so does the other." Raising alkalinity wont decrease calcium levels unless alkalinity is consumed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back