Using bleach in display tank to kill ich?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cysts can
How long do cysts survive on dry rock?

I'd consider pulling the rocks and bleaching them and either let the sand dry out if it will kill the cysts or just replace it. You could be back up and running in a couple weeks with some bottled bac.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joining late in this discussion and sorry you lost the clown and glad you are learning the QT /treatment process

you are also on manage vs eradicate fulcrum

Seems a reasonable path forward would be to run the heat up to 85-90, allows your tank to maintain cycle, plan a 45 day fallow, and keep your QT/Treatment going, with the advantage of bringing in another fish or two in prep for the breaking fallow party..

then decide if you want to run a UV system - back to the maintenance approach

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I got a new clown to replace the one that didn't make it and I have started a copper / general cure regimen in QT.

I upped the display tank temp to 87F and I will keep it there for 30 days.

Will keep everyone posted

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upped the display tank temp to 87F and I will keep it there for 30 days.
Why not 45 days or longer as others have recommended? While fish disease is not my forte, rushing is never a good idea with aquaria, especially with disease.
Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.
Exactly.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like with @Jay Hemdal, I would still be cautious of such a short treatment. Is there any reason why ≥ 45 days is not feasible in your situation?
I checked the fish this morning. The royale Gramma I got yesterday was dead. The new clown I got his two side fins are very Lacey, like there's no webbing between the "fingers" and the clown that survived the ich out break in my display tank has long white strings from one of his fins and is swimming lethargically...

When I went to bed last night everything was fine. I set the qt tank up yesterday. Brand new perfect water, perfect temp, air stone, 76F, 1.025, there wasn't even any meds In the tank yet...

In 8 hours I seemed to have killed $215 worth of fish with no obvious cause.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the fish this morning. The royale Gramma I got yesterday was dead. The new clown I got his two side fins are very Lacey, like there's no webbing between the "fingers" and the clown that survived the ich out break in my display tank has long white strings from one of his fins and is swimming lethargically...

When I went to bed last night everything was fine. I set the qt tank up yesterday. Brand new perfect water, perfect temp, air stone, 76F, 1.025, there wasn't even any meds In the tank yet...

post pictures when you see stuff like this it can help identify help identify the cause

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 14 day humble fish is referring to is 14 days of copper and then removing the fish and putting it into a separate quarantine tank. but you still have to hold the fish for a couple more weeks for observation
Humblefish says 14 days at 86F is sufficient... I'm already doubling what he recommends ?

Crowe578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! Bleach is toxic to a reef tank and once it’s in the tank you can’t/won’t be able to get it out even with something like prime. I recommend just draining and emptying the tank/starting over. If you don’t want to wait considering it’s new. You also need to get new filter media then. The only way to 100% eradicate it would be a fallow of at least 76 days or starting completely over with new rock, sand, and media. Just make sure you wash/dry the tank out well.
Why drain it. All you have to do is let it sit with no fish in it then your good.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They said drain it and start over, or go fallow. A new tank started with dry rock may not have much to lose, and could get back up and running before 76 days. That said, the 76 days fishless can still let the rock mature, and will be good for multiplying microfauna, so it's probably the best option.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not 45 days or longer as others have recommended? While fish disease is not my forte, rushing is never a good idea with aquaria, especially with disease.

Exactly.
Why argue with him when he's posted several times that he wants to only go fallow for a short period, despite all advice to the contrary?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sorry for the additional losses. I hope you can figure out the cause, but even if you can't, this will give you time to take a step back and consider what kind of quarantine, etc, you will use going forward.

Edit: it's entirely possible that the store you buy your fish from is the ultimate culprit... Seems they have sold you several unhealthy fish.

reef2sanity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bleach. Best bet is coppersafe at 2.25 or cupramine at .50 for 30-35 days to rid of any ich parasites
copper can get into live rock and become a problem later on if you get corals. Copper in QT tank not in display, you can also look into tank transfer method for fish in future if you dont want to treat with copper. Leave tank fallow and get water parameters all good and try again IMHO. If trying to get done quicker get a couple black mollies and put them in first, if theres Ick left in tank they should show it pretty quick

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back