UV keeps tripping GFCI??

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It doesn't work like that really. You don't need 4 GFCI. Only one for an entire circuit.

Ground fault circuit interrupter protects the entire circuit, not just an outlet.

Gotcha. So each GFCI is somehow isolated on the circuit and if it trips, the remaining outlets on the circuit still work?

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had issues in the past with non fish tank ballasts tripping GFCI. One such instance was I moved the ballast as far from the actual GFCI outlet as I could and it stopped tripping, I think the emi given off by certain ballasts can mess with the circuit in the GFCI outlet for some reason. Maybe try a GFCI breaker, the outlets seem to trip more often, for me at least. The breakers do get weak too.
Nope, would never run a tank on a gfci breaker that’s asking for a tank crash

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 gfci's off of 1 circuit. It's how you wire them so they stay independent of each other. Mind you mine are not DIY but are standard gfci outlets.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like you'll likely need to have the UV on a non GFCI outlet then.

I would test to see if it trips a GFCI when connected to a protected circuit but not directly plugged in to a GFCI outlet.

There are higher quality GFCI protectors that supposedly are much more reliable. I couldn't give you the brand though.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 gfci's off of 1 circuit. It's how you wire them so they stay independent of each other. Mind you mine are not DIY but are standard gfci outlets.
I followed the wiring diagram and instructions @Brew12 did, he’s the electrical guru. ;Bookworm

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of equipment cannot be run on GFCI , noise in the signal form ballasts ect will trip it. Alot of new equipment cannot run on them either due to the PCM boards blowing from them.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of equipment cannot be run on GFCI , noise in the signal form ballasts ect will trip it. Alot of new equipment cannot run on them either due to the PCM boards blowing from them.
seems weird that Pentair would put in the manual to NEVER run the unit not on a gfci if it trips for everyone....
Like why tell us we have to use one when the item literally doesnt work on it?

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sorry I misunderstood.
nothing else is connected to the gfi except what you see, there is no other part of the circuit except the outlet

So the GFCI outlet in question is a single circuit? from you main panel breaker to the outlet and back with nothing else???

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems weird that Pentair would put in the manual to NEVER run the unit not on a gfci if it trips for everyone....
Like why tell us we have to use one when the item literally doesnt work on it?
Same as all equipment mfg its to cover their butt legally. But go plug a new wall hung high efficiency boiler ./ heater up with boards , like the directions say with gfci , and youll be replacing 500 boards and have no hot water , until you take the liability and dont use a gcfi.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the GFCI outlet in question is a single circuit? from you main panel breaker to the outlet and back with nothing else???
the tank itself has a dedicated 20A circuit.
connected to that i have my apex plugged directly into the wall.
then the gfci outlet is plugged into the apex, and the uv is plugged into the gfci outlet.
each of the 4 gfci is wired in the same way as this, all connected to the same apex on the same 20A circuit.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will also add that with EVERYTHING for the tank all plugged in and running, the entire circuit only has a max of 6.4Amps according to the power monitor on my apex

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your plugged into the apex , so your getting EMF which trips the gfci , same as the reason it dont work with those devices I said. why not plug the gfci in to wall then apex then everything else

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank itself has a dedicated 20A circuit.
connected to that i have my apex plugged directly into the wall.
then the gfci outlet is plugged into the apex, and the uv is plugged into the gfci outlet.
each of the 4 gfci is wired in the same way as this, all connected to the same apex on the same 20A circuit.

Can you link to the thread you mentioned? I'm having trouble understanding how you have isolated these GFCI on one circuit.

I wouldn't say I'm a guru, and I'm not a certified electrician, but in highly competent with electrical work and did my entire house from panel onwards.

It's possible you may be able to get the UV on a protected circuit but like nano said above, maybe not.

I've been told by my electrician friends that most GFCI just don't perform/hold up well.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will also add that with EVERYTHING for the tank all plugged in and running, the entire circuit only has a max of 6.4Amps according to the power monitor on my apex

I would never advise someone to have a fish tank on a non-protectwd circuit. But I've heard that as long as YOU aren't grounded, no need for the GFCI. ;) But I didn't advise that. ;) ;)

If you want to protect against fire, install an arc fault at the breaker panel.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your plugged into the apex , so your getting EMF which trips the gfci , same as the reason it dont work with those devices I said. why not plug the gfci in to wall then apex then everything else
because then if the gfci trips, the whole tank is turned off and thats how tanks die

Back