crappie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought the

“VBR-Aqua PAR Meter for Aquarium R,G,B PAR Seperately”​

on Amazon for $207 with tax and shipping.

Going to use it for par readings on my API 6 bulb T-5 I have on my 40 breeder. The ETA is Wednesday.

Wish me luck!

OP
OP
crappie

crappie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it is for aquarium and has a few reef reviews

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it is for aquarium and has a few reef reviews
Yea but there are reports of it corroding the shell and possibly leaks at the screws.
A "like" model on their web site states not to keep it immersed for more than 24 hrs.

I suggest following that regardless of it 1) being missing from that model desc. on amazon (24hr thing). and 2) and reviews to the contrary...for now.
It's kind of confusing really..

There is no "aqua" listed oddly enough.
Under the "like" model 200..
The PAR sensor is waterproof, can be used underwater, and is OK for aquarium, reef tank, fish tank. Continuous immersion in water should not exceed 24 hours.
vabira.JPG

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crappie, use it. It's cool, and I'm speaking from personal experience. Just don't let it live in the tank and rinse it after use. If you have it, and you are still concerned, epoxy or epoxy resin the bottom of the sensor. Simple fix instead of "just don’t use it in water."

Speaking for myself, I have an Apogee, the PARwise, two spectrometers that capture intensity data, and the VBR from Amazon. And a quick thanks to @luxdium for turning me on to this device. This is a very simple Apogee SQ-500 vs the $190 VBR-Aqua test.

Flow off. Apogee MQ-500 vs. VBR-Aqua. Dry measurements suggest the VBR is ~3.5% low. Wet measurements under the Mitras are spot-on. Apogee - 117, VBR - 117.5.

Remember that the -500 is the non-immersion corrected Apogee. The meter measured 93.6. 93.6*1.25=117

Luca, from Quanta Lights (@Lousybreed), suggested that the VBR would go a little wonky under heavy-violet conditions. To check that, I tested the meter under my ReeFi Uno Pro 2.0 with all of the blues/violets pegged. The Apogee read 207.5 to the VBR's 210. That's a little over 1% difference and I personally don't see that as being a problem for any user. @luxdium tested 410nm individually, the difference between the two meters was greater than what I experienced, which may speak to the VBR's inability to measure PAR accurately as the light nears 400nm, but as many of us would use the VBR, the data is perfectly acceptable. All of this without the hassle of the not a rental rental from BRS.

The VBR does some other things like giving you the percentage of PAR for specific colors, measuring DLI (but I wouldn't leave this thing in my tank), and offering a back-lit screen, but the main point is that it matches the very expensive Apogee's readings and that it ain’t reef taxed. Get a group of friends together, or ask your grandma for that holiday money early, and go get you one. Once you have it, share it. The more people know what they're doing with their lights, the better.

PGD123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received the VBR Aqua a few days ago - very helpful so far and the par readings compare to the rented par meter (apogee) I used in the past - no issues with the first few uses. Seems like a decent deal for the $...

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my meter and it seems like it’s reading low for my lights. If it’s in water with flow off do I multiply by the 1.25 to get a true reading?

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my meter and it seems like it’s reading low for my lights. If it’s in water with flow off do I multiply by the 1.25 to get a true reading?
There is no multiplier for the VBR-Aqua. What it reads should align with Apogee. Have your previously tested with another device?

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tested it before. First time using a par meter. Doesn’t seem like enough options for me to be screwing up the reading so it’s probably the lights are under powered for the job.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tested it before. First time using a par meter. Doesn’t seem like enough options for me to be screwing up the reading so it’s probably the lights are under powered for the job.
What are you using and over what size?

I have another random VBR-Aqua heading my way. I want to compare the two just so I can be comfortable assuming they read similarly.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 3’ Orphek bars. Running on osix and the color is great but I think it’s just not enough bars.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using and over what size?

I have another random VBR-Aqua heading my way. I want to compare the two just so I can be comfortable assuming they read similarly.
People "renting" them on Amazon?
Thought you'd find this interesting..
vbraquareturn.JPG

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People "renting" them on Amazon?
Thought you'd find this interesting..
vbraquareturn.JPG
I've seen. Have suggested that purchasers split the cost with others, share, or rent them out. They could make their money back quite quickly.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are interested, I have another VBR-Aqua heading my way thanks to a generous reefer. Will compare the results from mine and the loaner. I'm not questioning unit-to-unit variability, but some have. Want to offer some answers in the form of data.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only running 160 watts at full power so I shouldn’t be surprised. Also at the recommended 18” above the waterline too.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i should be receiving my VBR-aqua from amazon this weekend. eager to test out my lights to confirm they're not enough for my corals!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back