Velvet or brook? advice on my treatment plan please?

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to treat a maculosus angelfish, spotted mandarin, sandsifting goby, 2 clowns, solorensis wrasse, regal or hippo tang. All fish are eating and active still. I have a 50 set up for CP and a separate 20 for copper. From what I have read the hippo tang and the wrasse can't handle CP. So they are going in the 20 with copper. Can they have metro with the copper? Start full strength or slowly raise dose? I don't know if this is velvet or brook? The other 5 fish are going in the 50 with CP and that covers both brook and velvet. I only have cupramine and seachems copper test. I have tanks ready just need to add meds and catch fish. I plan to do a fresh water dip followed by a bath in ruby reef rally as I catch them. I do quarantine my fish but something slipped in. I made a mistake somewhere.. I got some great advice from @HotRocks & others on yesterday's post. I just want to be sure this plan is sound and advice on how much how fast?

20190608_144744.jpg

20190608_130525.jpg

20190608_141105.jpg

20190608_144754.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to treat a maculosus angelfish, spotted mandarin, sandsifting goby, 2 clowns, solorensis wrasse, regal or hippo tang. All fish are eating and active still. I have a 50 set up for CP and a separate 20 for copper. From what I have read the hippo tang and the wrasse can't handle CP. So they are going in the 20 with copper. Can they have metro with the copper? Start full strength or slowly raise dose? I don't know if this is velvet or brook? The other 5 fish are going in the 50 with CP and that covers both brook and velvet. I only have cupramine and seachems copper test. I have tanks ready just need to add meds and catch fish. I plan to do a fresh water dip followed by a bath in ruby reef rally as I catch them. I do quarantine my fish but something slipped in. I made a mistake somewhere.. I got some great advice from @HotRocks & others on yesterday's post. I just want to be sure this plan is sound and advice on how much how fast?

20190608_144744.jpg

20190608_130525.jpg

20190608_141105.jpg

20190608_144754.jpg

Metro + Copper is good to go. Copper is usually good with most antibiotics.
Copper you raise over 24-48 hours. I like to dose copper several times a day in small increments. Sometimes you run across a copper sensitive fish. And giving them the 1/2 total dose, like Cupramine suggests, can be very harsh on "some" fish. So instead of doing the big "two" doses as Cupramine instructs, it's better to break it up into several smaller doses each day. I've had "excellent" results by doing this.
With CP you do the full dose all at once. That's the advantage of using CP.
Yes, most Hippos and many wrasses don't do well with CP.
Freshwater dip for 3-5 minutes helps remove some of the parasites. Especially the ones on the gills that are keeping the fish from transpiring O2.
Following that immediately with the Ruby Reef Rally bath has greatly increased the survival rates of very sick and parasitic fish. Good move here. RRR has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities. Highly recommend this step. Well worth the effort. ;)
We all make mistakes. But you are all over this with great advice from @HotRocks :D
Best of luck. Slow and steady, methodical medication will give all of your fish a fighting chance. Good on you for caring so much for your fish. Well done!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro + Copper is good to go. Copper is usually good with most antibiotics.
Copper you raise over 24-48 hours. I like to dose copper several times a day in small increments. Sometimes you run across a copper sensitive fish. And giving them the 1/2 total dose, like Cupramine suggests, can be very harsh on "some" fish. So instead of doing the big "two" doses as Cupramine instructs, it's better to break it up into several smaller doses each day. I've had "excellent" results by doing this.
With CP you do the full dose all at once. That's the advantage of using CP.
Yes, most Hippos and many wrasses don't do well with CP.
Freshwater dip for 3-5 minutes helps remove some of the parasites. Especially the ones on the gills that are keeping the fish from transpiring O2.
Following that immediately with the Ruby Reef Rally bath has greatly increased the survival rates of very sick and parasitic fish. Good move here. RRR has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities. Highly recommend this step. Well worth the effort. ;)
We all make mistakes. But you are all over this with great advice from @HotRocks :D
Best of luck. Slow and steady, methodical medication will give all of your fish a fighting chance. Good on you for caring so much for your fish. Well done!
This precisely.

Keep your head up, you’ve got this! :)

OP
OP
S

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give update my angel is doing great all clear and eating well with the bigger clown in CP. My goby that had showed no visible symptoms died during 2nd day in CP and my small longfin clown developed a strange issue with swim bladder during treatment and also died. Little clown didn't develop visible symptoms of velvet either. My wrasse and hippo tang are in copper finally at therapeutic level for 7 days so far. I raised the copper very slowly because it seemed to really stress them. I only had cupramine and seachem test kit. The spotted mandarin is still in display tank with no visible symptoms because I can't catch her... I know that my fallow period can't even begin until last fish is out.

OP
OP
S

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Sorry for your losses.
So now my bigger clown is swimming upside down like my little clown did before he died. Looks like a swim bladder problem but what are the chances of the same thing happening with both fish? Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated! He will have been in CP for 14 days tomorrow. I'm at a loss don't want to lose her too.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now my bigger clown is swimming upside down like my little clown did before he died. Looks like a swim bladder problem but what are the chances of the same thing happening with both fish? Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated! He will have been in CP for 14 days tomorrow. I'm at a loss don't want to lose her too.

Sorry to hear of your loss. How is your clown fish?

OP
OP
S

Salt1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your loss. How is your clown fish?
She is improving. I moved her to a clean tank with general cure, kanaplex and furan 2. I'm also feeding metro. She's not swimming upside down at all now, just vertical some and she's moving more normally in the water. She had been in CP for 14 full days at 80mg. I left my angel in the CP tank and she's doing great.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 141 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back