Velvet or ich I don't know what to do

KelpMeOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe about a week ago I got 2 firefish and a skunk cleaner to my nano and thought I'd be fine. My tanka possum wrasse was breathing heavy a bit later I'm not sure how long ago from the addition maybe a few days to about a week. And the day after that I found it dead in the tank outside layer of skin gone. Like white fish meat and bones. I did a water change the day before because I thought maybe the biofilter was having trouble with the additions so I did like a 50% change. Tested the water before the change it was at like 40ppm nitrate. The wrasse lying around on the rocks when I saw it breathing heavy and only moved if I stuck my hand in and touched it. Other than that it wasn't swimming much. Is it like ice or velvet I don't think they're might've been a few small spots on it. Not entirely sure. Does anyone know what happened and or what I should do?

20221111_134108.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, diagnosis after death is almost impossible to make. Likely, the other fish in the tank became scavengers and began eating the dead wrasse resulting in what you saw.

While the nitrate level was high, it is unlikely the cause of the rapid death. If ich or velvet was the cause, you will likely see symptoms on the other fish.

I assume the other fish in the tank are not showing any abnormal behavior or condition?

The link below suggests the information that normally would help the diagnosis process.

OP
OP
K

KelpMeOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I thought they were also dying because they had just start to huddle together in a cave and never come out or barely ever move from thier position but they came out earlier today for a bit before going back in. I feed twice daily, loads of pods as well but I don't think firefish eat pods

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the decay process for a dead fish can contribute to a rise in ammonia, particularly in a small tank.

You should check that with a reliable kit.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to posting about fish disease issues, take a look and see if there is any additional information you can add:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So maybe about a week ago I got 2 firefish and a skunk cleaner to my nano and thought I'd be fine. My tanka possum wrasse was breathing heavy a bit later I'm not sure how long ago from the addition maybe a few days to about a week. And the day after that I found it dead in the tank outside layer of skin gone. Like white fish meat and bones. I did a water change the day before because I thought maybe the biofilter was having trouble with the additions so I did like a 50% change. Tested the water before the change it was at like 40ppm nitrate. The wrasse lying around on the rocks when I saw it breathing heavy and only moved if I stuck my hand in and touched it. Other than that it wasn't swimming much. Is it like ice or velvet I don't think they're might've been a few small spots on it. Not entirely sure. Does anyone know what happened and or what I should do?

20221111_134108.jpg
Pic is extremely dark to see anything but one thing is clear- This fishs' fins are totally shredded suggesting aggression from another fish . The white you mention looks like a product of this fish being bullied but to determine for sure, Pics under white lighting will be of importance
In the picture, is fish upside down ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like post mortem injuries - unless it had lesions for a couple days beforehand. Its a little unclear from your description - was the fish breathing heavily for 7 days - or did the heavy breathing noticed 7 days after the new ones were added. PS - Sorry about your fish - and hope the others do well

OP
OP
K

KelpMeOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic is extremely dark to see anything but one thing is clear- This fishs' fins are totally shredded suggesting aggression from another fish . The white you mention looks like a product of this fish being bullied but to determine for sure, Pics under white lighting will be of importance
In the picture, is fish upside down ?
The only other fish in there are a pair of firefish. It was a possum wrasse, all red body, it was done to white flesh and the skeleton

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back