Velvet or Ich on chalk bass (Pictures attached)

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chalk bass in QT parameters are fine. It developed ich or velvet not 100% sure on what it is but it appeared in a matter of hours. It has only been in QT for 2 days and showed no signs before today. Currently is breathing heavily. He even ate yesterday. I do not have anything on hand to treat fish tonight so it will have to wait until morning unfortunately. Treatment help and id would be great! Sorry for picture quality it is best I could get on my phone.
Chalk Bass.jpg
Chalk Bass 1.jpg
Not ich, velvet- fresh water dip, R.O water with ph adjusted to same as your tank. Put in QT with lower salinity 1.014 will slow progression, get meds quick. I use copper.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FW dip removed most of any flukes that may have been in the fish's gills and body flukes too. So the Prazipro would be kinda redundant right at this moment. But would be needed later. I'd wait for the copper tomorrow. Copper Power is the most reliable. Coppersafe will work too. Best to use one of them they are easiest on fish.

Cupramine by Seachem is usually the most widely found though. It can be a bit tough on fish as the dosage is smaller and the therapeutic range is narrower. Do not use the instructions on the bottle. The two big doses can be brutal on fish.
Calculate the total number of drops needed for your size tank. Then spread out the drops over 24-48 hours to get to therapeutic level. Doing a few drops in the AM, then some at lunch, and then some in the PM, is much easier on the fish.
Therapeutic for Cupramine is 0.50 ppm
Using a Hanna Copper Checker is best and easiest. Or use Seachem Copper Test kit or Salifert, they are the only color matching test kits that will work with Cupramine.

I have a seachem dealer near me that will most likely be what I go with. They also carry copper test kits so I will pick one up and start that ASAP. I appreciate all the help!

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update: It didn't make it through the night. Should I worry about putting another fish in QT and it developing the same thing or should I run copper to kill what is in the tank now?
I hope that makes sense.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan to treat every fish for flukes and ich/velvet you should empty the QT and sterilize everything. Personally, I would start QT on another fish with the QT as is but immediately start copper power but that’s me since I treat everything regardless of how healthy it looks.

if you put another fish in there without sterilizing or starting copper treatment it is certain the next fish will get it and most likely end the same way.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan to treat every fish for flukes and ich/velvet you should empty the QT and sterilize everything. Personally, I would start QT on another fish with the QT as is but immediately start copper power but that’s me since I treat everything regardless of how healthy it looks.

if you put another fish in there without sterilizing or starting copper treatment it is certain the next fish will get it and most likely end the same way.
I think I will begin using copper on everything as well. I will search the threads for copper treatments as well.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update: It didn't make it through the night. Should I worry about putting another fish in QT and it developing the same thing or should I run copper to kill what is in the tank now?
I hope that makes sense.
Sorry for your loss :(

Clean the QT and any equipment used with bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse, let dry. This will remove any biofilm.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back