Velvet or ich?

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b1d130809a4cafef8c9a2cdecfa1d9e5.jpg
all my fish have white spots but his are the worst, i put API super cure for ich in but isnt working. Is it velvet?

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are also moving very slow

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sure doesn't look good. Have you read any of Humblefish's threads on velvet and how 2 treat?
No i havent because i thought it was ich. It used to be only small white spots now it has bigger spots. Also ill do the QT thing, ill buy a 20 gallon for it

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it could have more than one disease. The white spots, ragged fins and cloudy eyes could be ick or velvet but the patches on the skin look more like Brook possibly. Does it look like the mucus on the skin is "falling" off?

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it could have more than one disease. The white spots, ragged fins and cloudy eyes could be ick or velvet but the patches on the skin look more like Brook possibly. Does it look like the mucus on the skin is "falling" off?
Yea kind of like its melting in spots. Will copper in a QT tank take care of all that?

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate is the best med for treatment. It will treat velvet,ick and Brook. I will have to reference some books to tell you what mg per gallon is recommended for Brook. 60mg/gallon is recommended for velvet and less for ick

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate is the best med for treatment. It will treat velvet,ick and Brook. I will have to reference some books to tell you what mg per gallon is recommended for Brook. 60mg/gallon is recommended for velvet and less for ick
Thanks for the help im definitely going to use that now. What should i do for my main tank since it is already infected? I have around 50 hermit crabs, a conch, and 2 mantis shrimp hitch hikers(i want them out anyway). Will the treatment kill them?

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...+phosphate&dpPl=1&dpID=41HnR44hm1L&ref=plSrch i think im gonna go with this one. Says not safe for invertabrates but ill figure something out
Thanks for the help im definitely going to use that now. What should i do for my main tank since it is already infected? I have around 50 hermit crabs, a conch, and 2 mantis shrimp hitch hikers(i want them out anyway). Will the treatment kill them?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea kind of like its melting in spots. Will copper in a QT tank take care of all that?

I would perform a FW dip and/or chemical bath on all fish before placing in QT and treating with copper. As outlined here; look under "The short version": https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437

That protocol will treat brook & velvet, just in case both are in play here. Or as @TheRealDmorty217 pointed out, using CP (instead of copper) is an even better option.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would perform a FW dip and/or chemical bath on all fish before placing in QT and treating with copper. As outlined here; look under "The short version": https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/#post-2499437

That protocol will treat brook & velvet, just in case both are in play here. Or as @TheRealDmorty217 pointed out, substituting copper for CP is an even better option.
Already ordered the CP and will arrive tommorow morning. With the freshwater dip i put them in for 5 minutes correct?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That medication (Seachem ParaGuard) isn't going to help you. It is sometimes useful for treating bacterial infections, but even that is questionable. o_O
I dont have a Local fish store, do you know where i can order CP?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a Local fish store, do you know where i can order CP?

The only way to be sure you are getting 99% pure CP is to get your vet to write you a prescription that can then be filled at a local pharmacy.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to be sure you are getting 99% pure CP is to get your vet to write you a prescription that can then be filled at a local pharmacy.
Ah okay thanks. Ill go to my vet today, is CP that much better to do all this or will copper work the same? If its better than ill go ahead and call the vet

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay thanks. Ill go to my vet today, is CP that much better to do all this or will copper work the same? If its better than ill go ahead and call the vet

For the diseases you are dealing with here (especially velvet), it can't be beat.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 119 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back