Velvet or ick

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this fish in copper for 2 weeks. Just brought it up to 1.6 PPM two days ago. Saw fined spots on the fish and tonight the fish is clearly dying. I lost a coral beauty yesterday with no noticeable issues. I still have two in quarantine. A tailspot and firefish. I just did a formalin dip. Suggestions?

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture. He was always an open mouth breather. Had done a freshwater dip (no flukes), metro in water, and gc in food. Looked like sugar this morning

It didn't make it, but want to confirm what I have as I have two more and I want to make sure I get this right. I tried a formalin dip with Rally, but it died in the bath. I thought 1.5 of copper power (tested with Hannah) would take care of it. I didn't want to push it with the coral beauty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220221-202555_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220221-202555_Gallery.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 42

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture. He was always an open mouth breather. Had done a freshwater dip (no flukes), metro in water, and gc in food. Looked like sugar this morning

It didn't make it, but want to confirm what I have as I have two more and I want to make sure I get this right. I tried a formalin dip with Rally, but it died in the bath. I thought 1.5 of copper power (tested with Hannah) would take care of it. I didn't want to push it with the coral beauty.
Copper Power really needs to be over 2.0 to work. A partial dose doesn’t give a partial benefit, it just doesn’t work.
This is probably a protozoan issue….ich or velvet.
Jay

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had read in some previous posts that 1.5 would work. I will go ahead and move it up to 2 in the QT tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had read in some previous posts that 1.5 would work. I will go ahead and move it up to 2 in the QT tank.

A couple of things - the gramma could have had ich and flukes at the same time.

What other fish are in the tank now?

The trick with copper power is that you need to get to a full dose right away (24 hours or less). In addition, once fish have died from a presumed infection, the disease has a pretty firm foothold in the tank. Copper takes up to 3 days to work. This means that even if you get to full copper, you may still see some fish loss.

Jay

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, the firefish seems ok, but the tailspot blenny is stressed and not moving much. Had to get copper up to 2 last night, so I am sure this is part of the issue. Both are still open mouth breathing, but the blenny is more pronounced.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, the firefish seems ok, but the tailspot blenny is stressed and not moving much. Had to get copper up to 2 last night, so I am sure this is part of the issue. Both are still open mouth breathing, but the blenny is more pronounced.
Rapid breathing is from the disease, not the copper. As I said, things may get worse before they get better and you may lose additional fish.
Jay

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick with copper power is that you need to get to a full dose right away (24 hours or less).
Do you mean with an actively infected fish, or for QT prophylaxis as well? I’ve read so many different things over the years; ramp it up over 4 days, dropping in at 1.0 is fine, starting at 2.0 is fine, etc.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back