Velvet outbreak!

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of trying to defeat a velevet outbreak in my DT. Getting a big enough QT tank set up to try to keep everyone as healthy as possible. That isn’t going to happen until this weekend as I have very limited resources and have to work through Friday and on call all this week. My question is once I manage to transfer the fish over to the QT tank will the inverts be okay to stay in the DT during the 72 day fallow period or will they continue to carry the problem with them? There are 3 urchins, multiple hermits, and a few snails.
Also, will my ywg be okay in a bare bottom tank? I plan to do the freshwater dip, followed by ruby reef dip then to the QT to be treated with CP. Everything has been ordered and should be here by Saturday. As well as a 55 gallon tank to use for QT since I have a yellow tang and an Angel as well as the ywg, purple pseudochromis, and clownfish. I’m thinking that should be a big enough tank to house and treat them all until the fallow period ends. (If they make until Saturday). My hands are tied until then.
Can I just add the saltwater, get it to temp and salinity, add the Bio Spira and be good as far as setting up the QT and adding fish? I always had a small Qt and used a filter that I kept in the DT to seed but since that isn’t an option I just want to make sure I don’t murder what fish I have left.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to at least get an acriflavin dip done immediately. That might buy enough time to get qt set up.

Velvet moves very quickly.

Best of luck

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to at least get an acriflavin dip done immediately. That might buy enough time to get qt set up.

Velvet moves very quickly.

Best of luck
Thank you. I’ve found that out the hard way! The angel is visibly showing signs now. There are only 3 stores in town that carry anything for fish. Petsmart, Pet Food Center, and Walmart. I’ve tried them all. None have anything that will help :(. I’ve had to order all the medications online. They should be here soon. I just hope soon enough!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, forgot the questions lol.

Ywg will be fine. Give him a little piece of pvc or similar to hide in.

Inverts are fine to leave in during fallow period.

That should be a good enough set up procedure but I've never used bottled bacteria products, so not sure. Monitor ammonia to be sure, which you should do anyway.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow period is 76 days to cover all the bases. The inverts will be fine. Continue to feed them a bit.
The YWG will be just fine. I had a pink WG in Qt for 30 days and I even provided it a small bowl of sand to play, rest in. It never used it. As Golden suggested, it did like hanging out in a 3" pvc fitting.
Yep, get the QT setup as soon as you can. That will give the salt time to smooth out a bit. Newly mixed can be a bit harsh on the fish.
Dose it with the Bio-Spira, post an ammonia alert badge and have plenty of mixed saltwater to do changes.
Just keep in mind the acriflavine or Ruby Reef Rally has really helped a lot to keep secondary infections to take hold.
You'll do fine.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow period is 76 days to cover all the bases. The inverts will be fine. Continue to feed them a bit.
The YWG will be just fine. I had a pink WG in Qt for 30 days and I even provided it a small bowl of sand to play, rest in. It never used it. As Golden suggested, it did like hanging out in a 3" pvc fitting.
Yep, get the QT setup as soon as you can. That will give the salt time to smooth out a bit. Newly mixed can be a bit harsh on the fish.
Dose it with the Bio-Spira, post an ammonia alert badge and have plenty of mixed saltwater to do changes.
Just keep in mind the acriflavine or Ruby Reef Rally has really helped a lot to keep secondary infections to take hold.
You'll do fine.
Going to start running the water tonight. Takes about 10 hours to make 25 gallons. Have 20 gallons ready. Then just need 10 more. Will refill the jugs and Brute once I get the water in the tank for the future water changes. Thanks again!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start running the water tonight. Takes about 10 hours to make 25 gallons. Have 20 gallons ready. Then just need 10 more. Will refill the jugs and Brute once I get the water in the tank for the future water changes. Thanks again!

If you can do the FW dip + Rally bath before putting the fish in QT, that will buy you 48 hours to get the copper up to full therapeutic. Instead of having to dump a bunch of copper on them ASAP.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can do the FW dip + Rally bath before putting the fish in QT, that will buy you 48 hours to get the copper up to full therapeutic. Instead of having to dump a bunch of copper on them ASAP.
Thank you. I ordered the chloroquine phos online to treat.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered it on eBay. I know, probably not the most reliable source but it was the only place I could find it in a hurry.
It will be difficult to ensure the effective dose through that source so you may be better off with copper.

Daily freshwater dips may buy you some time with those that are showing symptoms. Velvet acts fast it's one of the worst things in the hobby and something I wish on no one.

All inverts can remain in the DT during your fallow period.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also buy an ammonia alert badge. Ammonia will be your biggest obstacle setting up your QT that quickly and you may need to rely on some larger water changes (medicated of course).

Again, sorry you're having to go through this.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be difficult to ensure the effective dose through that source so you may be better off with copper.

Daily freshwater dips may buy you some time with those that are showing symptoms. Velvet acts fast it's one of the worst things in the hobby and something I wish on no one.

All inverts can remain in the DT during your fallow period.
Thanks for the advice. If I get copper I would either have to order it or find a place away from where I live to pick it up and I don’t know where that would be. The options here are very limited.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this. FW dips are incredibly good at removing a staggering number of the parasites. Just not permanently.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. If I get copper I would either have to order it or find a place away from where I live to pick it up and I don’t know where that would be. The options here are very limited.
I know how you feel I source my meds online as well. If you do go the route of copper I would get coppersafe with an API test kit. The CP may work but there is a risk. Unfortunately, an Rx is required for a proven source.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also buy an ammonia alert badge. Ammonia will be your biggest obstacle setting up your QT that quickly and you may need to rely on some larger water changes (medicated of course).

Again, sorry you're having to go through this.
I did order an ammonia alert badge. I’ll set up plenty of mixed saltwater to be ready for water changes. The tang and angel are both showing symptoms now. I feel so helpless! This is a hard lesson to learn. But I know now the importance of QT for an extended period along with profolactic medications during that time! I won’t make this mistake again if I can help it.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel I source my meds online as well. If you do go the route of copper I would get coppersafe with an API test kit. The CP may work but there is a risk. Unfortunately, an Rx is required for a proven source.
I also plan to contact my vet to see if she prescribe it for me. However, I doubt if the vet has any available in this area. If not, I’ll get the coppersafe and test kit. I doubt if I have time to save my fish by the time I get it but I will use it on the next fish I plan to get for sure!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back