Velvet outbreak

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my scenario. I have a velvet outbreak 3 months ago, wiped out most of my fish. I had about 15, the lone survivor is a yellow tang. About 3 weeks ago, I added 2 tangs to see if they would get velvet since logically I felt since I didn't go fallow, the disease technically had a host (the yellow tang) but he was resistant to it. If that is the case, how long would it take for these 2 tangs to get velvet?

Can you actually transfer velvet from one tank to another, say I moved some corals from one tank to the other.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet can be transferred by anything wet tank to tank. What species Tangs did you put in and how long ago. IMO that probably wasn’t a good decision. If you are sure you have velvet in your tank the odds are not good.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet can be transferred by anything wet tank to tank. What species Tangs did you put in and how long ago. IMO that probably wasn’t a good decision. If you are sure you have velvet in your tank the odds are not good.

+1

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was velvet and not a bad case of ich or something else? It's unlikely for three tangs to remain resistant to velvet for long.... depending on the tang species, they might be able to tolerate ich for some time.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was velvet and not a bad case of ich or something else? It's unlikely for three tangs to remain resistant to velvet for long.... depending on the tang species, they might be able to tolerate ich for some time.

Ich isn't fatal and healthy fish can typically live a lifetime with it. in addition, healthy fish can live with velvet just fine, it's when fish become severely stressed that velvet kills. That's why you see people with perfectly healthy fish, and then all of a sudden have a breakout and their fish start dying. Ie, salinity fluctuations, infections, aggression, mini cycles during tank transfer/moves, etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back