OP
OP
reef_junkie

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making water for the qt right now. I don't know how effective it's going to be in 3 or 4 weeks when the qt is ready.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making water for the qt right now. I don't know how effective it's going to be in 3 or 4 weeks when the qt is ready.

You can start before then, but you will need to be doing constant WCs to control the ammonia until the QT cycles. Or another option would be to use one of those bacteria in a bottle products (exs. Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability, Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria) to cycle it faster.

OP
OP
reef_junkie

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toughest fish is going to be the leopard wrasse. I can't take my rock out so maybe a trap?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toughest fish is going to be the leopard wrasse. I can't take my rock out so maybe a trap?

I caught a pair of flame wrasses out of a display at work by feeding them and then literally scooping them up with the net one at a time. I had to be ready for it and stand back a little from the tank, but with one fast move I had them both when they came up to the surface to eat. Give it a shot. You may be surprised. I was and everybody in the store stared when I started yelling like a loon. lol

OP
OP
reef_junkie

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I'm going to start feeding frozen out of a net. I saw someone else train their fish to feed like this just for this reason.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trained a CBB to eat out of a net (and Yellow Flanked Wrasse would go in there too):

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also build a cheap fish trap using just eggcrate, fishing line, and zip ties:

Fish-Trap-1.jpg
Fish-Trap-2.jpg

There's also the "bottle trap" for gobies, wrasses and other hard to catch fish:

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear and for future reference... the reason your second batch of fish caught velvet, even after waiting 3 weeks, it because it takes up to 6 weeks for velvet to die off completely and your tank be free of it. I'm glad your fish are doing well now though!

yeah I know, I couldn't do that though as my frag tank was full of frags and they started suffering as soon as the bioload was taken away.

cheers

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trick to catch any fish. I don't feed for one day. I use two nets on each side of a corner. Turn off all flow and pumps. Drop a sprinkle of Larry's in the corner, and watch as any fish tries to resist. I've caught just about every fish I've had like this. Tangs, clowns, gobies, hawkfish, wrasse, and firefish off the top of my head. Also I've done this with cichlids.
It does take patience, especially with fast fish. But hasn't failed me yet.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to suck, but you will learn a ton having to go through the process. And when its all over, you will be glad you did what needed to be done.
X2

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back