OP
OP
reef_junkie

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last 7 fish ive bought have come from 2 sepperate diver/collectors in Figi. A permanent qt , no. Each purchase was planned with 4 weeks of cycling a fresh qt. I know I've done something wrong and this time its frustrated more than losing $2000 in acros and chalices.

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish had velvet and seachem support told me to treat for 6 weeks with Cupramine and it took care of it I had 32 fish I caught it early but only one fish died

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't give up. I've lost LOTS of fish... some I was at fault and others- well.... They died either by suicide or another homocidal fish. It happens. You learn from it. And pick up another fish and keep trying.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in my qt time because of negligence on my part and not putting my fish in a qt at purchase. After losing all of my fish except for three clowns, 1 engineer goby and a cardinal I have learned my lesson.. I followed @Humblefish advice for qt and copper.. Drove him and @melypr1985 absolutely crazy until I knew I had everything correct to save the fish.. I have two more days of qt left. It is a seperate job and it sucks especially when the fish you purchased cost $100 that give the velvet to the tank in the first place but once you get passed the scare.. It's very much rewarding that you saved the lives of the fish.. And some will die.. It's part of it.. Just hang in there. Take a deep breath and dive in.. Then take it day by day.. Don't throw your hard work and money away if you don't have to.. Keep your head up..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in my qt time because of negligence on my part and not putting my fish in a qt at purchase. After losing all of my fish except for three clowns, 1 engineer goby and a cardinal I have learned my lesson.. I followed @Humblefish advice for qt and copper.. Drove him and @melypr1985 absolutely crazy until I knew I had everything correct to save the fish.. I have two more days of qt left. It is a seperate job and it sucks especially when the fish you purchased cost $100 that give the velvet to the tank in the first place but once you get passed the scare.. It's very much rewarding that you saved the lives of the fish.. And some will die.. It's part of it.. Just hang in there. Take a deep breath and dive in.. Then take it day by day.. Don't throw your hard work and money away if you don't have to.. Keep your head up..

Very well said. :)

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well said. :)
Thank you.. I honestly don't know what I would have done without you guys... Every time I see someone mention you two I just smile to myself cause I know how it is to freak out and hope one of you are online.. Haha but honestly @reef_junkie these two and many many others on here will be more than happy to guide you through the process. No matter how many questions you have.. Good luck

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A hard lesson to learn. +1 Very well said!

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hard lesson to learn. +1 Very well said!
Yes it is.. Lol it's our own fault though.. It is frustrating.. Just like I know petco.. Or whoever they purchase their fish from is horrible.. But I just bought a Pygmy angel..(had to it was adorable) but it didn't even make it 24 hours.. I just hope he doesn't give up:( thank you again girl for helping me out in my time of need!!

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize we had multiples of this thread going. Reefjunkie your not alone in this. I had the same situation as you, 4 weeks everything looked fine and then dead, 8 fish this way. Only thing that stopped me from getting beat again by disease has been my attachment to my eel and fish and somewhere a deep passion for Echidna genus eels has developed.

Don't give up on this and if you really do, think about downsizing first (I feel crazy for saying but some it helps).

OP
OP
reef_junkie

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I haven't had a death in three days. I don't have an opinion in this yet.
The death toll:
Hippo Tang
Sailfin Tang
Wyoming white Clown
Engineer Goby
Pipe Fish
6 chromis
Oh and while scooping out the last dead fish I found zoa eating nudis about 1/4" long.
This has been the worst 6 month mark I've ever come up against.

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses dude but don't give up! I just went through Velvet myself, ended up losing everything including my favorite fish, a magnificent foxface that i could of probably picked up with my hand out of the tank. Went the 76 day fallow period, ended up killing some sps in the meantime.

I just put my first couple fish in a month ago now or so and slowly been restocking it. I couldn't let it win and you shouldn't either. Even the best of us run into problems.

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Velvet, it killed all the fish in my frag tank - Yellow Tang, Red Scooter Blenny, Yellow Coris and Flame Angel.

I waited 3 weeks then got more fish - Scopas Tang, Melanarous Wrasse, Molly Miller and half a dozen Cromis.

All was fine for a week or so then I could see the outbreak happening, tiny spots with what looked like rotting flesh/fins.

I added a Schotling Oxidator and filled it with 6% Hydrogen Peroxide. I also installed a small UV unit and fed heavily. oh and I added a OF Hydra Filter as I suspected my water quality might be what triggered the onset of the Velvet (new frag tank using Marco rock) in the first place.

Now its about 3 weeks since starting the H2O2 Reactor and all fish are clear of velvet and they're really happy now, my tang doesn't fret when I put my hands in the tank, before she would have a fit every time.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Velvet, it killed all the fish in my frag tank - Yellow Tang, Red Scooter Blenny, Yellow Coris and Flame Angel.

I waited 3 weeks then got more fish - Scopas Tang, Melanarous Wrasse, Molly Miller and half a dozen Cromis.

All was fine for a week or so then I could see the outbreak happening, tiny spots with what looked like rotting flesh/fins.

I added a Schotling Oxidator and filled it with 6% Hydrogen Peroxide. I also installed a small UV unit and fed heavily. oh and I added a OF Hydra Filter as I suspected my water quality might be what triggered the onset of the Velvet (new frag tank using Marco rock) in the first place.

Now its about 3 weeks since starting the H2O2 Reactor and all fish are clear of velvet and they're really happy now, my tang doesn't fret when I put my hands in the tank, before she would have a fit every time.

Just to be clear and for future reference... the reason your second batch of fish caught velvet, even after waiting 3 weeks, it because it takes up to 6 weeks for velvet to die off completely and your tank be free of it. I'm glad your fish are doing well now though!

OP
OP
reef_junkie

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 fish left after the outbreak. Are they resistant or are they carriers. If I leave them in will the tank always have velvet?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 fish left after the outbreak. Are they resistant or are they carriers. If I leave them in will the tank always have velvet?
Yes if you leave them the tank will always have velvet and 9/10 new additions will die and eventually they may as well

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back