Very sad day for Holmes-Farleys

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to take our 17 year old beagle (Fran) to the vet this morning for euthanasia. Long downward spiral, followed by not eating or drinking the past couple of days.

I know how many reefers also have dogs. perhaps folks can post photo's of their happy dogs to make this a cheerier day. :)

This is a picture of her (left) and another beagle we had for many years (Jake) on the right taken years ago as they sunbathed on our back patio.

1699549694859.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Randy, it's not easy when our best friends get to the end of the line. Here's my old boy doing his old boy thing
1699549986108.jpeg

And my ol' girl:
1699550024441.jpeg

Old greyhound getting excited about going outside, even though they can only manage about a 10 min walk:

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry, must have been a tough call but eventually it’s the right decision.

IMG_6758.jpeg

This is my dog after eating a pound of bacon.

In related news, we recently discovered she can reach the far back side of the kitchen counter.

In other related news, I had toast for breakfast this morning.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m so sorry Randy. This hurts my heart as I too have a doggy furry son and I can’t imagine losing him. Thoughts and prayers with you guys.

IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_2744.jpeg
IMG_2750.jpeg
IMG_7448.jpeg

Last edited:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had to take our 17 year old beagle (Fran) to the vet this morning for euthanasia. Long downward spiral, followed by not eating or drinking the past couple of days.

I know how many reefers also have dogs. perhaps folks can post photo's of their happy dogs to make this a cheerier day. :)

This is a picture of her (left) and another beagle we had for many years (Jake) on the right taken years ago as they sunbathed on our back patio.

1699549694859.jpeg
Very sorry to hear of your loss, Randy. Please take solace in remembering the good times you had together.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my dog after eating a pound of bacon.

In related news, we recently discovered she can reach the far back side of the kitchen counter.

In other related news, I had toast for breakfast this morning.

lol

I know the feeling. While Fran did not get into as much trouble, the other one in the photo above (Jake) worked his way up onto the kitchen counter, and opened one of the cupboards above the counter. He pulled down and ate a whole container of chocolate ovaltine [ edit: wife says it was trader joes protein powder, not ovaltine; not sure who remembers it better. lol].

Poison control told us the iron in it was a bigger problem than the chocolate, be we ended up not being able to get him to vomit, and he was fine any way.

He also got down into the basement once and found a bag of dog food. By the time we found him, he looked 9 months pregnant (or whatever applies to dogs), and paid his own penalty of being bloated.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Randy, that must have been a very hard decision to make. I never had to put an animal down before. I recently rescued a cat (about 3 years ago). I can’t imagine the pain I will feel when or if I have to make this decision myself.

She lived very long. You must have taken great care of her.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Randy! I’ll be in the same boat soon (hoping not til after Christmas) as my 13 year old dog is going down hill fast.

IMG_6935.jpeg

That’s her. I have two others. A 7 year old Doberman and a 10 month old German Shepard mix. (No pics on my phone currently)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back