Vinyl Background Question

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always just painted my tank backgrounds, but wanted to try vinyl this time. So i did like all the videos say. Get it really clean, spray down with water that has a drop or two of dishwashing soap. It all went on great with no bubbles, but I see some white streaks in the vinyl. I read that they have to dry/cure, and I was just wondering if those streaks will go away. If you run your hand over them, they don't move, so I do not think it is air bubbles. They do look like they are in the direction of how I used the squeegee to move the water out. My daughter wants to get her new tank setup (freshwater) today, but I want to make sure I won't have to tear it down to re-apply. Honestly, I don't know what I would do differently if it is an issue. It went on pretty easily.

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a safety pin to it and prick it just to let any air out that might be there?

I recently put some vinyl on my Evo, but I don't see anything like what you mentioned with the white streaks. Granted my pic is on the outside, not looking inside the tank.

PXL_20201130_053444748.jpg

OP
OP
TaylorPilot

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a guy on youtube describe the exact samething I was having. He said it would go away in a few days...the next morning it was reduced and within about 36 hours was completely black...

OP
OP
TaylorPilot

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we got it setup. It is still a little hazy from setting it up last night. It is about a 65 gallon Low Iron rimless from Aquarium Design Group in Houston. This guy does amazing freshwater setups.

It is probably gonna be the most expensive glowfish tank in Texas. LOL (I already had the tank from another setup, so why not?!)
20201221_182357.jpg

20201221_182711.jpg

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always just painted my tank backgrounds, but wanted to try vinyl this time. So i did like all the videos say. Get it really clean, spray down with water that has a drop or two of dishwashing soap. It all went on great with no bubbles, but I see some white streaks in the vinyl. I read that they have to dry/cure, and I was just wondering if those streaks will go away. If you run your hand over them, they don't move, so I do not think it is air bubbles. They do look like they are in the direction of how I used the squeegee to move the water out. My daughter wants to get her new tank setup (freshwater) today, but I want to make sure I won't have to tear it down to re-apply. Honestly, I don't know what I would do differently if it is an issue. It went on pretty easily.
IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG
I use vivid vinyl and works well for me. I don't use water/soap or anything, just clean glass with rubbing alcohol, then lay it on gradually holding it taut, and smooth it out the surface as you go along. Its very durable stuff, you can pull it on and off several times, or hit it with a hair dryer to heat it up and make it much more flexible if needed... I line it up from the bottom of the glass at the frame and let it overhang the top, then come back and slice it with a clean razor.

If your wrapping it around a corner on a glass tank, there's gonna be some bubble there due to the imperfect seam/silicone. I just left mine alone since its practically unnoticeable

I know vinyl can be a pain though!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back