Virginia, Richmond Reef Club meeting at Twon8's place!

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16409 Court St.
Amelia, VA 23002

here is a link to atlantis, it is about 10 minutes out of the way if you are coming from the north, so i highly recommend stopping there on your way in or out of town. they are open till 8 on saturdays',
http://atlantisva.com/
Thanks man, cant wait! :)

yeah, i would recomend stopping at Atlantis (and maybe Fish World) before heading off to Anthonys (which is further out of town).

maybe if Gadgets is coming down, I can meet up with both of ya'll in town somewhere to show ya'll the LFS's, and then you guys can just follow me over to Twon's place.
That sounds like an awesome idea Al! Maybe i can get ya a frag of some Rasta's when i come down... :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chris have your camera firing on all cylinders man! I would like to see some pics of the event, tank, and fellow CZ members. :D

You all are so lucky....

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am, figuring out some things now. I hope I can make it. I'll bring the camera as well. I look forward to meeting you all. Steve and Al, we need to exchange info.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am, figuring out some things now. I hope I can make it. I'll bring the camera as well. I look forward to meeting you all. Steve and Al, we need to exchange info.

yeah, we gots plenty of time to iron out the details.

i think it would be 6hr drive for Steven, and maybe a 3-4hr drive for you (depending on Baltimore and DC traffic)

maybe Karen should chime in here and give her take on how the traffic was when she came down.

Last edited:

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive gotten home from downtown dc(mci center) in 2 hrs. It was late so no traffic, and I was driving pretty dang fast though; its 95->295->64->288->360

there is a back way from the west end, via powhatan

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive gotten home from downtown dc(mci center) in 2 hrs. It was late so no traffic, and I was driving pretty dang fast though; its 95->295->64->288->360

there is a back way from the west end, via powhatan

geez...thats hauling!! lol

...the va state cops must not patrol I-95 very much. i know they don't patrol 64-east b/w Richmond and Williamsburg...as the traffic moves VERY swiftly. but they are ALL OVER 64-west of Richmond......and everywhere on I-81 in the western parts of Virginia.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Its not that far. When I rode down to Vince's house and to Atlantis with Karen, it only took us 2.5 hours at most. Not too bad of a drive just have to make sure my schedule is clear.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Its not that far. When I rode down to Vince's house and to Atlantis with Karen, it only took us 2.5 hours at most. Not too bad of a drive just have to make sure my schedule is clear.

oh thats right, i forgot you guys had already come down before. i just remember when karen, anthony and I met up at Atlantis before.

Atlantis has completely changed, they moved to a bigger store......and are still getting their tanks set back up. although most of the coral tanks are running fine, they just need to stock them with more good stuff.

will probably be a while before they get their display tanks back to looking good.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone is interested in frags at the Richmond meetings, Twon8 and I are putting together a huge pot of frags to pick from. It will be raffle style, and divided into 2 groups (sps, and *other*...which will include zoa/palys, lps such as favia, micros, duncans and acans, as well as some rics).

each raffle ticket for either group is $20/each per frag. here is a link to follow...please let us know ahead of time how many you want from each group so we can make frags accordingly.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1258588

also, we are doing a clam buy of ultra maxima's from reefscience. each clam is $23....and you need to paypal twon8 the money. here is the thread to reserve them.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1256326

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggghh, I soooo wish I could go :( :( It just keeps getting better and better by the sounds of it! Darn these classes!!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggghh, I soooo wish I could go :( :( It just keeps getting better and better by the sounds of it! Darn these classes!!

teaching or taking classes? i'd figure if you are working on your dissertation all you have to do is attend a couple of seminars.....and grade a couple million papers....lol

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking 3 classes this semester, teaching and working in the lab. My research advisor doesn't seem to know when to let up but it drives me to work hard. I'm her TA and have actually taught the class she's teaching before so she's had me give a number of her lectures too. Fortunately just one more class in the spring (another physical chemistry class *puke*) and then I will just be doing research and my qualifying exams by the end of spring/summer. After the qualifying exams it's all just research so that will be a nice change of pace.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking 3 classes this semester, teaching and working in the lab. My research advisor doesn't seem to know when to let up but it drives me to work hard. I'm her TA and have actually taught the class she's teaching before so she's had me give a number of her lectures too. Fortunately just one more class in the spring (another physical chemistry class *puke*) and then I will just be doing research and my qualifying exams by the end of spring/summer. After the qualifying exams it's all just research so that will be a nice change of pace.

what classes are you teaching? are you taking or teaching physical chemistry?

i absolutely hated p-chem with a pasion....everyone always talks about how hard organic chemistry is.....p-chem is like the silent killer no one talks about. i still don't understand why i needed it....content seemed pretty worthless to my career path other than to bring my GPA down.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the TA for Biochemistry of physiology (Biochem 463) and that is the class I have taught a few lectures for. This semester I am taking first semester physical chemistry (I never took it in undergrad and it's a pre-req for the graduate level biophysical chemistry course in the spring I have to take), Proteins and enzymic catalysis (Biochem 671) and Regulation of Metabolism (Biochem 673). It doesn't sound like much but this semester has definitely been the most difficult I've ever experienced in grad school or before.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grad school sucks. All you kids out there, don't go into science.

P.Chem is definitely one of the worst. No one complains about it, b/c no one takes it except for chemistry majors. All kinds of people take Organic, so . . .

I had an Advanced Inorganic Chem class as an undergrad that was pretty ridiculous too. Things like, predict the structure of this transitional metal compound and list all its points and planes of symmetry. Yeah, thats real useful!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grad school sucks. All you kids out there, don't go into science.

amen to that......even with a PhD the starting salaries....and long term job security are pretty crappy IMO....considering how much school and post-doc stuff one has to go through.

business and engineering is where the money is at.....40hr work weeks etc.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 102 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back