Vodka dosing is lowering phosphate but not nitrates

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing vodka (6,3 ml for 150 gallons minus rocks) for 4 weeks. Phosphates went from 0,53 to 0,11 but nitrates are staying basically the same, ie 43 ppm. I went with recommendations I found on R2R, I believe.

Is this normal ? I was thinking about upping the dose to 10,0 ml starting tomorrow. Is that a good idea ?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing vodka (6,3 ml for 150 gallons minus rocks) for 4 weeks. Phosphates went from 0,53 to 0,11 but nitrates are staying basically the same, ie 43 ppm. I went with recommendations I found on R2R, I believe.

Is this normal ? I was thinking about upping the dose to 10,0 ml starting tomorrow. Is that a good idea ?
Thats strange it usually has a larger effect on nitrates. I would not increase dosage may bottom out your phosphate. I am not a chemist I have no idea why that would be happening. From what I have observed carbon dosing will remove nitrate to the limit of available phosphate once the phosphate gets too low the nitrate reduction levels out and becomes stable. Why that isnt happening in your system I just dont know unless you are adding in a large source of nitrate daily.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used carbon dosing for nutrients control, just to feed bacteria.
Carbon dosing should reduce NO3 lot more and only reduce PO4 slowly. Since you have opposite effects it might be faulty measurement from before or now.

I would double/ triple check both NO3 and PO4 and if correct maintain the same dose and keep checking. You don’t want to bottom out either nitrate or phosphate. And since phosphate is on the downward trend I would be careful.

Good luck,

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have observed carbon dosing will remove nitrate to the limit of available phosphate once the phosphate gets too low the nitrate reduction levels out and becomes stable. Why that isnt happening in your system I just dont know unless you are adding in a large source of nitrate daily
No, not at all. My skimmer works full time and I feed twice a day (frozen), which means about 4 cubes per 24 hours.
I also feed 1/2 sheet of nori. I have 13 fish and many inverts.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used carbon dosing for nutrients control, just to feed bacteria.
Carbon dosing should reduce NO3 lot more and only reduce PO4 slowly. Since you have opposite effects it might be faulty measurement from before or now.

I would double/ triple check both NO3 and PO4 and if correct maintain the same dose and keep checking. You don’t want to bottom out either nitrate or phosphate. And since phosphate is on the downward trend I would be careful.

Good luck,
Measurement from before shouldn’t be wrong because it was done over many months.

I will test again tomorrow both phosphate and nitrate, with my Hanna checkers. I’ll also check nitrates with an API test, just to get an idea.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measurement from before shouldn’t be wrong because it was done over many months.

I will test again tomorrow both phosphate and nitrate, with my Hanna checkers. I’ll also check nitrates with an API test, just to get an idea.
With PO4 I find that measuring in the morning before feeding or late at night long after last feeding provides most consistent results.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the nitrates again, with API this time and it came back very dark so it looks like 43 ppm is right. It is also in ligne with my earlier results.

I tested phosphate again with Hanna and the result was 0,17 which is within the limits of the margin error I suppose, compared to 0,11.

So it really seems that nitrates are not decreasing with the vodka dosing, but phosphate is.

@Randy Holmes-Farley do you have any idea why that is happening ?

Corals are not happy/dying at the moment.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6.3ml/day in 150g for 4 weeks doesn't sound you should be seeing any results yet, ime. Are you running gfo or something also? Describe export systems. Have you had any downward movement of nitrate yet?

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like your PO4 reduction is not related to your vodka dosing, just a coincidence. It takes some time for nitrates to start going down, just stick with a program and increase/decrease the amount slowly. Right now I'm on about 15mL daily of DIY NoPOX in my 45gal. This puts me at around 10ppm NO3 give or take.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate can be removed by binding to something, then removing, like GFO and LC. Carbon dosing does little to remove phosphate, but some.

Took me months to go from 50ppm nitrate to 10ppm in a new system with daily carbon dose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I wish I had these problem. Po4 is always high with my tank.
I wouldn’t care if my corals were doing well. But they aren’t.

I feel like your PO4 reduction is not related to your vodka dosing, just a coincidence.
I’m starting to believe this might be the case.

Took me months to go from 50ppm nitrate to 10ppm in a new system with carbon daily carbon dose.
It might be too early for me then.

6.3ml/day in 150g for 4 weeks doesn't sound you should be seeing any results yet, ime. Are you running gfo or something also? Describe export systems. Have you had any downward movement of nitrate yet?

No GFO, only vodka. I have a skimmer going 24/7 and a refugium that was set up 2 months ago. I also use filter floss in 3 media cups + 1 long strip on top of all three.

I thought nitrates were starting to lower last week when they went from 43 ppm to 41 ppm but they were back up to 43 ppm this week.

1714949304419.jpeg

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t care if my corals were doing well. But they aren’t.

I’m starting to believe this might be the case.

It might be too early for me then.

No GFO, only vodka. I have a skimmer going 24/7 and a refugium that was set up 2 months ago. I also use filter floss in 3 media cups + 1 long strip on top of all three.

I thought nitrates were starting to lower last week when they went from 43 ppm to 41 ppm but they were back up to 43 ppm this week.

1714949304419.jpeg
And you've been dosing the same 6.3ml for all 4 weeks? I would double it(weekly, until nitrate starts to drop) and keep monitoring po4. Don't let it bottom out. If it keeps creeping down, start giving the fish the whole sheet of nori. You need to find a balance between dry/frozen food intake and vodka. Go slowly

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you've been dosing the same 6.3ml for all 4 weeks? I would double it(weekly, until nitrate starts to drop) and keep monitoring po4. Don't let it bottom out. If it keeps creeping down, start giving the fish the whole sheet of nori. You need to find a balance between dry/frozen food intake and vodka. Go slowly
I started very slow for the first few days, something like 0,4 ml. But I’ve been on 6,3 ml for about 4 weeks. My instincts were to increase to 10 ml so I’ll do that starting tomorrow.

Oh, and about export systems. I don’t know if that counts, but I doses Seachem Pristine a week ago, to help with dinos. I wonder if that’s what got the phosphate down.

I also dose Microbacter 7 once a week.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with pristine, what's that do? but keep in mind that carbon dosing feeds all bacteria, so there's the possibility of unforseen effects if you're dosing a bunch of stuff.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with pristine, what's that do? but keep in mind that carbon dosing feeds all bacteria, so there's the possibility of unforseen effects if you're dosing a bunch of stuff.
It’s for waste management and water clarity but I only bought it because someone said it can help with dinos.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how that(dinos) going? I don't like doing too much at a time. Consider getting the dinos under control before reducing nutrient

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they elaborate how that helps with Dino’s? Just curious…

Dosing denitrifying bacteria will not help with Dino’s. There is enough in your tank.
Nah, not really but it was someone who seemed really knowledgeable so I decided to try it. I’ve been having dinos on and off for 3 years almost so I’m sick of it.

And how that(dinos) going? I don't like doing too much at a time. Consider getting the dinos under control before reducing nutrient
They are either decreasing or stable. I have atypical dinos; they always came when I had high nutrients. I never had any while my tank was close to 0 phosphate and nitrates.

I’ve had dinos for almost three years so if I wait, it might take a very long time before I do anything. I’m tired of waiting…

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back