Vodka, vinegar, sugar or patience ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my question, knowing that my nitrates and phosphate are too high : should I just be patient or dose vodka, vinegar or sugar to get them down ? Should I use Phosguard for the phosphates (I have some at home) ?

Context :
My 75 gallons tank is 3 months old. To help with stability while I was having dinos, I dosed phytos everyday for for about 2 weeks, not thinking it would raise my nitrates (and phosphates?) a lot. Dinos are gone (fingers crossed) and I stopped the phytos about 4-5 days ago.

I am trying to feed less, but overall I don’t think I am feeding so much. I have 6 fish, all regular or small with the kole tang the biggest (not fully mature yet). I feed frozen twice a day and 4 cubes last me about 5-6 days, so less than one cube a day. I also feed 2 small portions of different flakes and some nori everyday. My skimmer runs all day and I change my filter floss once a week or more.

I started dosing All for reef about 7 days ago (1/3 of the dose the instructions say, ie 5 ml per day).

(I’ve done 2 x 5 gallons WC 2 days apart and the nitrates went down 10% but then rose again. They were 25 ppm, went down to 22 ppm and back up to 23 ppm. So this has a limited effect).

Parameters :
Salinity : 1,025-1,0255
Alkalinity : 7,6
PH : 8,0
Magnesium : 1200
Calcium : 440
Nitrates : 23,3
Phosphates : 0,19

(I’m working to find the right dosage for All for Reef and this will improve the magnesium)

Thank you !

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you definitely need to be a little patient. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. What’s your mechanical filtration like?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AFR might maintain magnesium if you're lucky but it won't raise it unless you overdose.

Your tank is too young IMO to start throwing carbon sources at it. Just let it mature and do its thing. 25ppm nitrate is nothing worry about. .2 phosphate is something to keep an eye on and just watch if it goes higher.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you definitely need to be a little patient. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
I agree. I don’t want any quick fix that will harm the tank long term.

What’s your mechanical filtration like?
I have a Tunze Comline 3168 filter. It has Seachem matrix (carbon), a little bit of bio media (that I will remove, not needed anymore) and filter floss.

Your tank is too young IMO to start throwing carbon sources at it. Just let it mature and do its thing. 25ppm nitrate is nothing worry about. .2 phosphate is something to keep an eye on and just watch if it goes higher.
Okay, thank you. I keep seeing how low nitrates and phosphates are important so it has me worried.

Jackal799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you were inquiring about carbon dosing but have you thought of an turf scrubber to help with your levels while your tank matures? I tried carbon dosing when my tank was young and had nothing but issues (cyano went nuts). Switched to an algae scrubber and I couldn’t be happier. I’d consider carbon dosing on a mature tank but honestly the algae scrubber is so easy and it’s hard to screw up your tank using one.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I don’t want any quick fix that will harm the tank long term.

I have a Tunze Comline 3168 filter. It has Seachem matrix (carbon), a little bit of bio media (that I will remove, not needed anymore) and filter floss.

Okay, thank you. I keep seeing how low nitrates and phosphates are important so it has me worried.
Your Tunze filter is a skimmer for removing proteins and waste from your water. I’m talking about mechanical filtration filter floss or filter socks.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Tunze filter is a skimmer for removing proteins and waste from your water. I’m talking about mechanical filtration filter floss or filter socks.
Well, no. This is a filter. I also have a Tunze Comline doc skimmer 9012, which is a skimmer.

Both of these products, with the Tunze osmolator, are part of the Tunze Reef pack, used when you don’t have a sump.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you were inquiring about carbon dosing but have you thought of an turf scrubber to help with your levels while your tank matures? I tried carbon dosing when my tank was young and had nothing but issues (cyano went nuts). Switched to an algae scrubber and I couldn’t be happier. I’d consider carbon dosing on a mature tank but honestly the algae scrubber is so easy and it’s hard to screw up your tank using one.
I have, to a certain extent, but having no sump, it’s harder to put in place.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be your issue. How often do you clean it out? Detritus can build up in these units and they can become nitrate and phosphate factories

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
patience. Not crazy numbers that warrant starting such program

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else here, your tank is too young and numbers are not high enough to start carbon dosing (carbon dosing doesn’t do much for phosphates, btw). I don’t really bat an eye at 25ppm nitrates (it’s not ideal, but not terrible either). I would just do 20% weekly water changes, and once your numbers are consistently lower (I’d shoot for 5-15ppm nitrates and 0.03-0.08ppm phosphates) you can go to 10% weekly or 20% biweekly. Also, as mentioned, AllforReef isn’t going to raise your magnesium (or anything really), it’s more for maintaining your levels where they are, so you may need to use other products to get your Mag, Alk, and Cal in range where you want them and then use AFR.

Jackal799

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, to a certain extent, but having no sump, it’s harder to put in place.
Ah gotchya. I know they make HOB fuges and icecap has a HOB scrubber but they might kinda looks like an eye sore. If I didn’t have a sump I’d probably be more inclined to carbon dose. I agree with everyone else and just keep up on your water changes for a few more months and then try carbon dosing at the 6 month mark. I’m a big fan of simple reef systems and it looks like you are well on your way! I bet Lou from Tropic Marin would be more than willing to answer some dosing questions for you if you shot him a DM.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience for now as the tank is young. Maybe if the problem is still here around 6 months then you can start dosing carbon.
Note: carbon will lower ph so be careful

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't start dosing Vodka until I hit the 11 month mark, I was able to get phosphates under control but nitrates remained high. Even still, I am 6 weeks into Vodka dosing and going at it slow, but it does work when/if you need it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be your issue. How often do you clean it out? Detritus can build up in these units and they can become nitrate and phosphate factories
All I have in there is a little bio media, carbon and some filter floss. I replace the filter floss every 5-7 days.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have in there is a little bio media, carbon and some filter floss. I replace the filter floss every 5-7 days.
In a video from BRS they recommend replacing filter floss every other day for nitrate and phosphate control.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try it to see if it makes a difference.
I'm sure it will take a few weeks to see the difference. Be sure to remove as much detritus as possible also. And you can try adjusting your feeding as well. Good luck

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn't start dosing Vodka until I hit the 11 month mark, I was able to get phosphates under control but nitrates remained high. Even still, I am 6 weeks into Vodka dosing and going at it slow, but it does work when/if you need it
You might need to dose a little phosphate to bring down the nitrates. Carbon, nitrate, and phosphate are a triangle. Being phosphate limited will hamper nitrates coming down

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back