Want to know a little brackish secret.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies and guppies can definitely cross but the resulting fry are often weak and die shortly after birth. Technically any fish from the poecilia family "could" cross breed. ... It is possible for mollies and guppies to crossbreed, but if you have a male molly it's unlikely the female will reproduce with the guppy.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to add do not keep mollies and guppys in the same tank as you van end up with a sterile hybrid same goes for plattys
This is true but it is very rare and only happens if the Molly is small and the guppy large. The chances of this happening are very slim.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crossbreeding can happen thought and in a community or a profit breeder, would definitely no want to get sterile fish. But in a reef this really doesn't matter the fry would end up being coral and fish food.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love me some guppys hehe these are endler guppy hybrids

16017679274878737629971359053807.jpg

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the moss growing on everything I like it to have a more natural look also have a Madagascar lace leaf going on 5 years now love that plant

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an announcement: reef builders have made a video on mollies so that is wonderful. They do a spectacular job at explaining the ups and downs with these fish. I would recommend this to you.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long awaited guppy saltwater acclimation guide. First step is setting up a quarantine tank that has been cycled, The salinity should be at 0 ppm so freshwater. Once the cycle is done you will then purchase the fish or get it other ways. add the fish to the system let them get used to it for about 9 days. After this nine day period you will then begin to raise the salinity. you will slowly raise the salinity by 1 ppm each week, This means it will take 35 weeks to get them ready. It is a slow process but this is the best way to reduce stress and give them time to get used to the change. After they have reached a salinity of 35 ppm or 1.026 specific gravity you will then drip acclimate them into your system so they get used to your water chemistry. Then add them into the system and reduce the flow and light, I recommend you add them during the night so they don't get battered by other tank mates ( If you have any ). Acclimation of long or fancy tail guppies should be avoided because they will not be able to swim properly if you are to keep long fin guppies I recommend making a dedicated system for them. Any aggressive tank mates should be avoided because they will most definitely bully the guppies. So that is it the guppy saltwater acclimation guide, I hope all of you find this useful, If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask me or other people. Thanks and remember, Happy Reefing. #Reefguppies

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Announcement: I just made an Instagram so if you guys want exclusive picture and clips of my tanks you can follow me at Reefing_aqua89. Thanks and remember, Happy Reefing

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with them and remember to keep a log of who breeds with who otherwise by the 3rd gen you will have deformitys I had some come out in an l shape

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 mono argentus/moonies in my 650 gal tank. They swim in a school and since putting them in they have gotten the other fish to be out in open more. They are growing real fast and act like the garbage trucks of the tank... eating any leftovers, fish poop, picking at any algae on back and side walls.

OP
OP
The guppy guru

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 mono argentus/moonies in my 650 gal tank. They swim in a school and since putting them in they have gotten the other fish to be out in open more. They are growing real fast and act like the garbage trucks of the tank... eating any leftovers, fish poop, picking at any algae on back and side walls.
I've wanted monos but they are too large for me but they do look very cool in a group and I wish you good luck.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back