Warning - New Clorox Bleach on the Market-NOT AQUATIC SAFE

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this on the Chicago Forum over on RC. I too purchased this new Clorox Splash-less Bleach as the label is very close to the standard Clorox Bleach Label. There is not a list of ingredients on the bottle nor a statement of 100% Bleach. Clorox® Plus® Splash-less Bleach has a thick, smooth-pouring formula that gives you the control to pour it just where you want it to go is its claim.

Per the reefer he stated the new bleach has a detergent in it and when I asked how he found out, he stated the following: "I called the 1-800 number. I washed my filter socks with it, thinking it couldn't be that bad (bought it by accident), and noticed it made bubbles, which normal bleach does not do. I rinsed the sock a few extra times and put it on my tank. In about 15-20 minutes my skimmer looked like a bubble bath, and later I noticed the tank water was cloudy. This is just from the RESIDUE on the sock. The woman at the help center read me the list of ingredients, which is not on the label, and it matches the stuff you get when you do a search of laundry detergent ingredients. Another thing you get is several EPA warnings about the individual ingredients that say they are toxic to aquatic life. But so far nothing has died, just looking unhappy".

Beware Splashless Bleach - Reef Central Online Community

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand y u need to wash your filter socks in bleach anyway. I just wash them in the washing machine and put them through 3 wash cycles. NO bleach, detergent, or anything.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Bleach is what I use. I'll just keep buying the cheap chlorine bleach.
Gary

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand y u need to wash your filter socks in bleach anyway. I just wash them in the washing machine and put them through 3 wash cycles. NO bleach, detergent, or anything.

wow....3 wash cycles:eek:oh:!!!! thats a lot of water...ill just use bleach in a bucket, and wash after with ro/di water.....

chris goetz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this on the Chicago Forum over on RC. I too purchased this new Clorox Splash-less Bleach as the label is very close to the standard Clorox Bleach Label. There is not a list of ingredients on the bottle nor a statement of 100% Bleach. Clorox® Plus® Splash-less Bleach has a thick, smooth-pouring formula that gives you the control to pour it just where you want it to go is its claim.

Per the reefer he stated the new bleach has a detergent in it and when I asked how he found out, he stated the following: "I called the 1-800 number. I washed my filter socks with it, thinking it couldn't be that bad (bought it by accident), and noticed it made bubbles, which normal bleach does not do. I rinsed the sock a few extra times and put it on my tank. In about 15-20 minutes my skimmer looked like a bubble bath, and later I noticed the tank water was cloudy. This is just from the RESIDUE on the sock. The woman at the help center read me the list of ingredients, which is not on the label, and it matches the stuff you get when you do a search of laundry detergent ingredients. Another thing you get is several EPA warnings about the individual ingredients that say they are toxic to aquatic life. But so far nothing has died, just looking unhappy".

Beware Splashless Bleach - Reef Central Online Community

Thank you for the warning Sara. I just picked up the target brand bleach last week and checked to make sure it was ok. :nerd:

Chris, I just put my used socks into a small 1g bucket with a 10:1 water/bleach solution after rinsing them out. I let them sit for a day then rinse/soak in water for a day, then air dry for a day.
After this they are clean as new with no bleach smell. I don't wash enough socks(2/week usually) to justify running the washer for them.

OP
OP
SaraB

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post was intended to be informational as some people use bleach for other purposes too in the hobby ... I personally have soaked my live rock that I want everthing alive off of in a bleach and water mixture. I then let the rock dry out in the sun for several days to "bake" the bleach out and then I cook the rock for a few months in the dark.

And yes, I wash my filter socks with water and bleach, give them an extra rinse cycle and then hang dry them for several days and then use them ... I guess I like them "extra clean" ;)

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1. We have never used bleach.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used and would never consider using any commercial cleaning product on anything associated with my reef. With all the effort we go through to filter our top off water why would anybody?
Water.
and vinegar, sometimes.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want everything dead and quick you use bleach. Thanks for the heads up Sara!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL for real Sara! Let's jump out and let them debate away! HAHAHA!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back