WARNING: Reef Plumbing Full of Bristle Worms

Ahmet Comlekcioglu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to think like this can be a cheap, better or natural way of filtering fish only systems that are bare bottom. The filtration system should be in this order; (1) a swirl filter: it is a complete dark and top-down conical place to collect detritus and uneaten food. It has a plenty of bristle worms to eat detritus and other stuff. If you do not like the way the bristle worms look like, other detritus eater that prefer dark places and like lurking at night can be preferred. Drainage should go this place first and the water should make a swirl like movement . (2) a compartment that has filter sponge in case any detritus could make its way into other filtration sections. The swirl filters drainage should pass here. (3) a compartment for the protein skimmer and if you like an uv filter. (4) a refugium that has coarse sand, thick sand base, and plenium. 12 hours of light. Reverse lighting + your choice of macroalgae. Xenia would work too. Or a combination of algaes. (5) the last compartment is the head pump that will pump the water to your main display. In order to get the best performance from your swirl tank, the cycle time should be the least you can customize. For instance; 3 times per hour. Last notes; for this kind of system, the drainage pipes should have checked regularly to prevent any detritus eaters make the drainage pipe a home. I think this system has comparatively less maintenance cost, applicable to bigger tanks, it is a cheaper way of doing things. What are you thoughts of an addition of a swirl filter that consists of detritus eaters?

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think those tube full of bristleworms are exciting? Well why not watch this video https://102tube.com/video/Tz9R5FLnTeo/cooking-1000-worms-into-a-pancake-wild-vietnamese-.html

This one is surreal and plus one gets to catch it live and then mix it with some batter for pancake meal ... mmmm delicious & nutritious (even if it is, I don't wanna ponder ...)

upload_2018-1-19_12-53-31.png

Ahmet Comlekcioglu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahmet that is not a bad idea - please try it and make a thread about it!!
I am going to move to a new city soon( I have to wait probably like couple months more). I have long thought the system I described. Though I did not imagine bristle worms, I did imagine bristle stars and snails that I can collect from the nearby sea. I hope I will be successful.
My philosophy is let the nature do its job and I will have just time to enjoy the beauty. I claim that this way is more sustainable than the type of aquariums that are full of gadgets and require high maintenance.
Just my 0,02.
If I start building such system, I will definitely start a thread, dear Beastium.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! I wish I hadn't watched this, it is going to give me nightmares.

I don't even want to stick my hands in my tank now!!! Thanks.

WAIT!!! Maybe I should watch this again.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%

Back