Was sent here.

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty has been doing this and people are saying it’s a really bad sign. What should I do as its in my DT with three other fish. What do I need to do?

Attachments

• IMG_1926.MOV
    4.9 MB

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get you some people that can help.

@Big G
@Billldg
@HotRocks
@ngoodermuth
@4FordFamily
@Frtdrmrose7

I am not familiar enough with that behavior to be any help. However, the people listed above are awesome and will be able to help.

In the mean time, can you give us some history on the fish and tank, let us know what else is in the tank, and give us your water parameters?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cant open video.
Is it itching/twitching, scratching/darting?
Breathing heavy?
Eating?

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the fish and put it in a 5 gallon QT tank with this stuff.

5AB0E936-608E-4F41-8A01-1507D3636FD2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is scratching and darting indicating irritation from either a parasite or gill flukes. Try 5 min freshwater bath to see if it slows down the behavior.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get you some people that can help.

@Big G
@Billldg
@HotRocks
@ngoodermuth
@4FordFamily
@Frtdrmrose7

I am not familiar enough with that behavior to be any help. However, the people listed above are awesome and will be able to help.

In the mean time, can you give us some history on the fish and tank, let us know what else is in the tank, and give us your water parameters?
This fish just came from the LFS two days ago. They told me quarantined animals die. So I never did the QT thing. I have three other fish. Two clowns and a spotted mandarin.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to tear the tank apart to get his butt out. Don’t want to have to do that again. I’m just worried it will go to the other fish too.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
To other fish depending if it’s protozoan or not. Formalin and copper based will be the likely treatment but again begin with freshwater bath and see if behavior changes

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend as others have posted that you do a freshwater dip. It's a great diagnostic that will either confirm or eliminate flukes as the cause of your beautiful fish's discomfort.

If flukes are confirmed then here's the treatment options to consider:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish in QT die? I think your fish store needs to rethink their advice.
I would probably go fallow if possible since you only have four fish. Get a 20g QT set up and treat all of them at once. I have had to do thins and it works out fine. Fallow for 75 days. Lets see what some other folks say too.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend as others have posted that you do a freshwater dip. It's a great diagnostic that will either confirm or eliminate flukes as the cause of your beautiful fish's discomfort.

If flukes are confirmed then here's the treatment options to consider:

I agree. I would also never again request the advice of whomever told you quarantined fish die. I have 15 or so angels, 10+ tangs, and a myriad of other fish currently alive that would all disagree vehemently.

Of course, like anything else, it takes some research or experience to master, like anything else. It's not without losses or problems, just like adding direct to the DT is not, either.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed him from the QT and put him in the fresh water once it hit temp for about 10 minutes. I let him sit for a little bit, then he started laying on his side. Well I made him move by putting the net in and touching his tail. He would move a little then lay down again. I did this over and over until eventually he started swimming on his own. About 5 minutes later he started to try to peck at the walls like he was trying to eat and swimming around just fine. He’s still in the QT doing fine. I’m going to let his stay there for a while. Thoughts? Still running the Kanoplex as that’s what the LFS said was the best thing. But, then again they said don’t QT.

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m still new to the saltwater game but I’ve been keeping freshwater tanks for 5 years and I promise you your LFS telling you not to QT is terrible advice. If you just treat the fish in the DT the parasite or whatever it is won’t go away and sometimes medicines can have an adverse affect on inverts and living things in the tank. Kanoplex seems like a good thing but others should chime in cause I’m not too experienced with that.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m still new to the saltwater game but I’ve been keeping freshwater tanks for 5 years and I promise you your LFS telling you not to QT is terrible advice. If you just treat the fish in the DT the parasite or whatever it is won’t go away and sometimes medicines can have an adverse affect on inverts and living things in the tank. Kanoplex seems like a good thing but others should chime in cause I’m not too experienced with that.
It’s in the QT with the Kano now. Just worried about the other three since they were in there too.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back