Was This Uronema Or Something Else/

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1019.jpg

Recently, a Talbot's Damselfish I acquired from LiveAquaria died a few days after introduction to a QT Tank. I'm not sure what killed it but given that it's a damselfish, I'm wary that it might've been uronema but I never saw any of the trademark uronema burns on it before or after death. It just kinda got paler and eventually I found it on its side in the tank corner so maybe it was ammonia poisoning? The reason I'm worried is because I'm not sure if I need to sterilize my QT Tank for uronema since I know it can persist without a fish host. Worried also about how I'm going to deal with my snails and pistol shrimp since I wonder if they were exposed as well and I'm wondering if a prevantative metronidazole dosing period would be alright with the shrimp in particular since I know they're sensative.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_1019.jpg

Recently, a Talbot's Damselfish I acquired from LiveAquaria died a few days after introduction to a QT Tank. I'm not sure what killed it but given that it's a damselfish, I'm wary that it might've been uronema but I never saw any of the trademark uronema burns on it before or after death. It just kinda got paler and eventually I found it on its side in the tank corner so maybe it was ammonia poisoning? The reason I'm worried is because I'm not sure if I need to sterilize my QT Tank for uronema since I know it can persist without a fish host. Worried also about how I'm going to deal with my snails and pistol shrimp since I wonder if they were exposed as well and I'm wondering if a prevantative metronidazole dosing period would be alright with the shrimp in particular since I know they're sensative.
Looks like uronema but often hard to tell on a dead fish especially after 2 hours of death

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1019.jpg

I'm not quite sure of the timeline here - you bought the damsel and put it in a tank with the snails and shrimp and then moved it to a QT?
Were there other fish in the shipment or exposed to this fish?

This doesn't look like Uronema to me, and if it was, you don't need to sterilize your tank for that - Uronema is often found in established aquariums as a free living protozoan - it only seems to cause disease in newly acquired fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure of the timeline here - you bought the damsel and put it in a tank with the snails and shrimp and then moved it to a QT?
Were there other fish in the shipment or exposed to this fish?

This doesn't look like Uronema to me, and if it was, you don't need to sterilize your tank for that - Uronema is often found in established aquariums as a free living protozoan - it only seems to cause disease in newly acquired fish.

Jay
Shipping actually. I acquired them together in the same box and opened their bags pretty close to each other. Both have separate tanks but water may have crossed over between the two during acclimation.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do I do about it? Will Metroplex sterilize the tank and is it safe on inverts that might potentially be exposed?

Metroplex will not "sterilize" a tank, it really isn't very effective against Uronema in any event. Chloroquine is a better choice, but as I said, you don't need to do that....

Here is a link to an article I wrote back when I was searching for a cure for this disease:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So what do I do about it? Will Metroplex sterilize the tank and is it safe on inverts that might potentially be exposed?
It is safe with inverts. Quarantine is always advantageous as Metro will address internal issues- Not fix a tank issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex will not "sterilize" a tank, it really isn't very effective against Uronema in any event. Chloroquine is a better choice, but as I said, you don't need to do that....

Here is a link to an article I wrote back when I was searching for a cure for this disease:

Jay
So just let them finish up their normal QT process and its fine?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just let them finish up their normal QT process and its fine?
Do you mean a full quarantine? Can you describe it?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 45 day fallow for inverts.
A minimum of 45 days at 81 F. 60 days is safer if the temperature is lower. But Uronema is going to be free-living in the tank anyway. The fallow period is designed to protect against ich, velvet and egg laying flukes.

Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back