OP
OP
mr fixit

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah nothing out of the ordinary just double checked it and just replaced the nitrate n ph test solution I use the same test kits for my reef cube so I know they aint out of spec I cant get any meds til tomorrow n I noticed him just now curling his tail twards the infected side if a fresh water dip would help I have fresh ro water I started today how long should he dip for ill coax him in a glass bowl so I wont touch or net him poor guy its 930 pm or I would get meds n I don't think walmart or meijer would have the proper meds in fish section there. Theayre 24 hr if I can find wat I need there

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you. I wish I had seen this earlier this morning but I had to work all day! I'm not sure a FW dip will help, but I dont think it will hurt.
Here's how:
Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

OP
OP
mr fixit

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Penicillin? For fish ? I have some from the dentist when I had wisdom teeth pulled lol I cant help him til tomorrow with meds

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Penicillin? For fish ? I have some from the dentist when I had wisdom teeth pulled lol I cant help him til tomorrow with meds

I dont think that's a good idea. There are other things in that pill that are part of making it into pill form that could be very bad for the fish. Not to mention, I dont think the penicillin will do much for him. People meds arn't good for fish.

OP
OP
mr fixit

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I wouldn't try. I was lookin up types of meds n seen they have penicillin for fish. thanks for all ur help though

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I think you should be traipsing around at 930 at night looking for fish meds, mind you.

Last edited:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll find a few porcs with it, but I don't believe anyone ever said they figured out what it was.

I've seen three..... I didn't say earlier because I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer, but none lived and it was really quick. I do not remember the medications tried.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bit of research that I did after reading this, showed the same thing. It was quick, and I only found a few instances including the one in the link posted above. Fast and deadly. That's one reason to be out tonight finding an antibiotic

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go @mr fixit ? Is he still hanging in there? Were you able to get the meds?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'm so glad :D

OP
OP
mr fixit

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puff passed away at 11 am it came on hard strong n fast watever it was he wasn't showing any signs to catch it early wish I could find a definate diagnosis of wat it was thank u guys on r2r for all ur help

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back