Watchman goby missing most of tail

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed my fish, it's been a few days. I noticed my watchman goby is missing most of it's tail and half his body is just white flesh. There's only 2 Wyoming whites in there with it in a 20 gallon. Clowns seem fine. Only other thing in tank that I know of is a small scarlet crab

IMG_20220613_210206426.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed my fish, it's been a few days. I noticed my watchman goby is missing most of it's tail and half his body is just white flesh. There's only 2 Wyoming whites in there with it in a 20 gallon. Clowns seem fine. Only other thing in tank that I know of is a small scarlet crab

IMG_20220613_210206426.jpg

Tough to see in the photo, but watchman gobies do sometimes develop bacterial infections, that unlike most cases, do not start from an injury. Is the tail completely gone? If so, there isn't likely any way to cure this. If the tail fin is just damaged, you might be able to stop the infection by moving the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic, like Neoplex.

Because these gobies hide so much of the time, it is hard to catch these infections early on,.....

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns never really leave their nem and the goby is always at the bottom. The last time I saw him he looked normal, last week. He hides under the rocks in the back 99% if the time, only comes out to eat.

@Jay Hemdal , yes, his tail fins are 100% gone and a portion of the body before where the tail would be is gone and up just behind his dorsal fin is white flesh. Can he be saved? I realize he can't regrow that part of his body, but could he live? I can set up a hospital tonight, although I will have to break the whole tank down to get him out.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up hospital, should I add the sponge that's been in another tanks sump for a year to seed the tank? Like put it in the hob?

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered neoplex but won't be here till Thursday. I have a bunch of other meds on hand if anything else might work until it comes in. Kanaplex, metroplex, furan2 I think, antibiotics for my anemones (can't remember name), rubyreef rally, prazipro, and others

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Kanaplex if you have it already, but according to Seachem, you should not use both kanaplex and neoplex at the same time. Seachem recommends neoplex for external bacterial infections, kanaplex for both internal or external bacterial infections.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Kanaplex if you have it already, but according to Seachem, you should not use both kanaplex and neoplex at the same time. Seachem recommends neoplex for external bacterial infections, kanaplex for both internal or external bacterial infections.
Does carbon or polypads remove kanaplex? I could start kanaplex tonight then when neoplex comes in run carbon/poly followed by a near 100% water change.

Should I use a sponge I've had in my sump for 1+ years to seed the qt? I also have microbacter7 and the seachem bacteria

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it doesn't have a fin, i recommend anesthesia with clove oil. Even if he survives, he wont live a good life, like a person with no legs, (no wheelchair, no prosthetics).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the off chance that your goby survives, you could attempt to make a prosthetic tail for it - no guarantee it would work, but it might be worth a shot with today’s technology.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it doesn't have a fin, i recommend anesthesia with clove oil. Even if he survives, he wont live a good life, like a person with no legs, (no wheelchair, no prosthetics).
It actually swims around the bottom. So he's not just stuck in one place. Guess you haven't seen the YouTube of the mechanic with no legs, for the most part he doesn't use a wheelchair. He is an inspiration to everyone

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can set up a hospital tank, it's worth a shot, and your sponge will be perfect. Sorry I can't advise on meds.

I had a couple Wheelers gobies that I suspect were picked on by my clowns (after a downsize to a 30g with no nem) and eventually died. They had missing tails for a long time and could swim fine. The tail issue itself was not what killed them. So see if you can rehab the poor guy and determine the cause.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does carbon or polypads remove kanaplex? I could start kanaplex tonight then when neoplex comes in run carbon/poly followed by a near 100% water change.

Should I use a sponge I've had in my sump for 1+ years to seed the qt? I also have microbacter7 and the seachem bacteria
I do not know if kanaplex is removed by carbon. I doubt polypads would do anything. If I were you, I would just continue the kanaplex treatment as instructed by the manufacturer and not worry about swapping out unless you determine the kanaplex is not helping.

The sponge would be a good idea, particularly if you can use it either as a sponge filter or as media in a HOB filter to keep water flowing through it.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if kanaplex is removed by carbon. I doubt polypads would do anything. If I were you, I would just continue the kanaplex treatment as instructed by the manufacturer and not worry about swapping out unless you determine the kanaplex is not helping.

The sponge would be a good idea, particularly if you can use it either as a sponge filter or as media in a HOB filter to keep water flowing through it.
I will set it up in a hospital 10 with a hob plus add an airstone and try the kanaplex for it's duration, if it isn't helping I'll switch to neoplex. When done with the hospital I'll will put him in my 90 that has no other fish, it does have crabs though, but also has sand. He's been in a bare bottom for 3 years with my clowns with no additions. Before that was in same tank with my clowns but with sand for 2 years.

Question though. Do I need to remove and treat my clowns also? I would do them separately of course.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the problem is a bacterial infection, no, you should not need to treat your clowns.

However as reminder, as @Jay Hemdal indicated earlier, if the entire tail is missing, chances of recovery are very slim. If the entire tail is missing as opposed to just the clear, fin-like end, regeneration will not occur.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the problem is a bacterial infection, no, you should not need to treat your clowns.

However as reminder, as @Jay Hemdal indicated earlier, if the entire tail is missing, chances of recovery are very slim. If the entire tail is missing as opposed to just the clear, fin-like end, regeneration will not occur.
Yes, the entire rear fin and a portion of the body are missing. I can't believe it deteriorated that fast just last week he was fine. He even came out and ate pellets last night, that's when I noticed it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the entire rear fin and a portion of the body are missing. I can't believe it deteriorated that fast just last week he was fine. He even came out and ate pellets last night, that's when I noticed it.
Oh, that sounds serious - if any bone is lost, they can’t regrow that (like if a person loses a finger).
Jay

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefSquad goby is getting worse. His body is progressively missing more, his tailbone is now exposed. What is the best way to euthanize him? A poster above said clove oil, how do I do that.

@Jay Hemdal will this spread to my clowns? Goby is in hospital with kanaplex as I'm still waiting for neoplex

Attachments

• 16553522600978912461709689530044.jpg
    16553522600978912461709689530044.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 72

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back