Watchman goby missing most of tail

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefSquad goby is getting worse. His body is progressively missing more, his tailbone is now exposed. What is the best way to euthanize him? A poster above said clove oil, how do I do that.

@Jay Hemdal will this spread to my clowns? Goby is in hospital with kanaplex as I'm still waiting for neoplex
Oh wow, that is bad. His stomach also looks swollen like he's no longer able to digest food (but maybe that's the angle of the pic).

The below methods came from Jay in another post. Clove oil is there. I keep this handy. I am so sorry this happened to your sweet goby but he needs to be out out of his pain. :-( Gobies are my favourite.

MS-222
Every aquarist should have a plan for specimen euthanasia before they need to employ it. An overdose of buffered Tricaine methane sulfonate (MS-222) is the preferred method for euthanizing fish. Dosing at a rate of greater than 300 mg/l MS-222 along with 300 mg/l sodium bicarbonate is effective for euthanizing fish within 30 minutes. However, MS-222 is expensive, and not readily available in smaller quantities to home aquarists. Removing the fish too soon from the solution may allow it to recover. It is therefore suggested to leave the fish in a small amount of the euthanizing solution, and freeze it for later disposal.

Clove oil (eugenol)
One product that aquarists can buy that is approved by at least some veterinarians and research biologists is clove oil, also called eugenol. A dose of 50 mg/l is usually sufficient in euthanizing fish. This equates to about 0.20 ml of eugenol in one gallon of aquarium water.

Because eugenol does not mix well with water, and because larger volumes are easier for hobbyists to measure out, it can be dosed using the following method:

1) Add 2 ml of eugenol to 100 ml of tank water in a sealed container and shake it vigorously.

2) Add 10 ml of this suspended solution to each gallon of water needed to euthanize the fish.

3) Place the fish in this solution and keep it covered to prevent it from jumping out and to help keep it calm.

4) Wait at least twenty minutes after it stops breathing, and then remove the fish from the solution and freeze it for later disposal.

Other methods
A variety of other methods have been proposed for the euthanasia of fishes, but none are fully accepted by veterinary experts. Still, home aquarists need more common tools to use, so those methods are listed here in roughly descending order of suitability:

Ethanol
Regular alcohol at a dose of 25 ml per liter will cause respiratory collapse and death in fishes within 30 minutes. The trouble is that alcohol is not available in pure form unless it has been “denatured” by the addition of distasteful chemicals such as turpentine. Vodka is about 40% alcohol by volume, so using it 62 ml per liter will give an effective dose.

Decapitation/pithing
Cutting a fish’s spinal cord, right behind the head, is a quick method of euthanasia that is approved for use in food fishes (where the use of chemicals would otherwise make the flesh unfit to eat). The issue is really that the method is distasteful for most people to do, so it is rarely used by aquarists. However, it is quick and effective.

Freezing
Placing the affected fish in a small amount of aquarium water in a sealed container and then placing the container in a freezer is a euthanasia technique used by some people. However, it is slow to work, so it is not considered humane. Its appeal as a method is that the fish is “out of sight” so people feel more detached from the process.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, that is bad. His stomach also looks swollen like he's no longer able to digest food (but maybe that's the angle of the pic).

The below methods came from Jay in another post. Clove oil is there. I keep this handy. I am so sorry this happened to your sweet goby but he needs to be out out of his pain. :-( Gobies are my favourite.

MS-222
Every aquarist should have a plan for specimen euthanasia before they need to employ it. An overdose of buffered Tricaine methane sulfonate (MS-222) is the preferred method for euthanizing fish. Dosing at a rate of greater than 300 mg/l MS-222 along with 300 mg/l sodium bicarbonate is effective for euthanizing fish within 30 minutes. However, MS-222 is expensive, and not readily available in smaller quantities to home aquarists. Removing the fish too soon from the solution may allow it to recover. It is therefore suggested to leave the fish in a small amount of the euthanizing solution, and freeze it for later disposal.

Clove oil (eugenol)
One product that aquarists can buy that is approved by at least some veterinarians and research biologists is clove oil, also called eugenol. A dose of 50 mg/l is usually sufficient in euthanizing fish. This equates to about 0.20 ml of eugenol in one gallon of aquarium water.

Because eugenol does not mix well with water, and because larger volumes are easier for hobbyists to measure out, it can be dosed using the following method:

1) Add 2 ml of eugenol to 100 ml of tank water in a sealed container and shake it vigorously.

2) Add 10 ml of this suspended solution to each gallon of water needed to euthanize the fish.

3) Place the fish in this solution and keep it covered to prevent it from jumping out and to help keep it calm.

4) Wait at least twenty minutes after it stops breathing, and then remove the fish from the solution and freeze it for later disposal.

Other methods
A variety of other methods have been proposed for the euthanasia of fishes, but none are fully accepted by veterinary experts. Still, home aquarists need more common tools to use, so those methods are listed here in roughly descending order of suitability:

Ethanol
Regular alcohol at a dose of 25 ml per liter will cause respiratory collapse and death in fishes within 30 minutes. The trouble is that alcohol is not available in pure form unless it has been “denatured” by the addition of distasteful chemicals such as turpentine. Vodka is about 40% alcohol by volume, so using it 62 ml per liter will give an effective dose.

Decapitation/pithing
Cutting a fish’s spinal cord, right behind the head, is a quick method of euthanasia that is approved for use in food fishes (where the use of chemicals would otherwise make the flesh unfit to eat). The issue is really that the method is distasteful for most people to do, so it is rarely used by aquarists. However, it is quick and effective.

Freezing
Placing the affected fish in a small amount of aquarium water in a sealed container and then placing the container in a freezer is a euthanasia technique used by some people. However, it is slow to work, so it is not considered humane. Its appeal as a method is that the fish is “out of sight” so people feel more detached from the process.
Will this work? I can't find regular clove oil near me

Attachments

• 16553537711676215676939570466851.jpg
    16553537711676215676939570466851.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this

Attachments

• 16553538197062620447840648766894.jpg
    16553538197062620447840648766894.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 16553539673042160761258121838729.jpg
    16553539673042160761258121838729.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 18

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work? I can't find regular clove oil near me
Clove bud oil is a lot stronger than clove oil but it's the same plant so it can be diluted but in this case you could use it full strength. You want the end to be as quick as possible.

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove bud oil is a lot stronger than clove oil but it's the same plant so it can be diluted but in this case you could use it full strength. You want the end to be as quick as possible.
I found a clove oil. So I'll get it instead of the bud oil and go with the recipe you posted.

I've had goober for 6 years and 2 moves. Best fish I've had, lots of personality

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate last night but his tail bones we're not showing, he lost a lot of flesh between last night and tonight

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a clove oil. So I'll get it instead of the bud oil and go with the recipe you posted.

I've had goober for 6 years and 2 moves. Best fish I've had, lots of personality
Oh wow! 6 yrs! That is amazing! He has obviously had a great life with you. That is one lucky little goby! I am so sorry this has happened but he will go peacefully this way.

Dooly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, rip goober. I really wonder what caused such rapid deterioration.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would too as I don't want it to happen to my clowns that I've had just a little longer

Sorry to hear. Most pathogenic bacteria in aquariums are already present in the tank - there is just something with the fish that allows them to invade the fish's tissues. So, it is not very likely that the clownfish will develop the same issue, since they have been exposed to this bacteria all along.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Most pathogenic bacteria in aquariums are already present in the tank - there is just something with the fish that allows them to invade the fish's tissues. So, it is not very likely that the clownfish will develop the same issue, since they have been exposed to this bacteria all along.

Jay
Have you seen a fish deteriorating so fast? He lost almost a quarter inch of his body in less than 2 days, and he was only 2.5-3" long, and still eating

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 6 years.

Life expectancy for them are only 3-4 years.

It might just be his time.
Really, that short? I figured he lived a short life, since most fish live longer, or I thought they did for some reason. He seemed always healthy up till this last weekend. Always coming to his spot in the tank when I turned the pump off for feeding time. Or swimming to mid water column to get sinking pellets or mysis.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen a fish deteriorating so fast? He lost almost a quarter inch of his body in less than 2 days, and he was only 2.5-3" long, and still eating
Not without some major injury starting it off. More like 3 to 5 days in most cases.
Jay

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not without some major injury starting it off. More like 3 to 5 days in most cases.
Jay
I'm wondering if he didn't somehow injure himself on the rocks to get it started off. Nothing has been added or moved in this tank in 3 years besides water changes.

I think he was ready to go. I was about to break the tank down to get him out the other night and he swam to the surface and just let me net him. He seemed fine in the hospital, swimming around in/out of the PVC I had in there. But the kanaplex didn't slow whatever was eating him, the neoplex should be here today unfortunately. But now I have it on hand

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if he didn't somehow injure himself on the rocks to get it started off. Nothing has been added or moved in this tank in 3 years besides water changes.

I think he was ready to go. I was about to break the tank down to get him out the other night and he swam to the surface and just let me net him. He seemed fine in the hospital, swimming around in/out of the PVC I had in there. But the kanaplex didn't slow whatever was eating him, the neoplex should be here today unfortunately. But now I have it on hand
I was also going to say that I thought 6 yrs was way above the average for these guys. I was surprised when I read he was that old. I'm sure like most creatures the older they get the lower their overall immunity so things they could've easily fought when younger is near impossible when they're at the upper end of their age span. I suspect he might've got a slight scratch or something on the rocks which rapidly turned into this. You probably would have had to start treating it as soon as it happened for the best chance of success. The problem with these guys is that because they spend so much time in the rocks you often don't see the problem until it's too late. He had an excellent life with you to get to that age.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back