Water Change

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks @4FordFamily, I finished treatmen of fish. They went 14 days in copper. Then transferred to sterile tank. Ran two rounds of GC and followed with observation period. It has been three weeks of observation and fish are healthy and ready for display.

Question is, do I need re sterilize this QT tank the fish are coming out of? Before I add next batch of fish, coming out of a different tank i run the copper process in.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Better safe than sorry" is always a good motto to live by when dealing with reef tanks! No quarantine process is 100% fail-proof. I personally run some bleach (small amount) in my quarantine tanks after use for 24-48hrs, then drain and let dry...then wipe down again with 50:50 vinegar solutions...also soak the HOB filter, thermometer, heater, pvc fittings, etc... in 50:50 vinegar for a couple days as well afterwards. After rinsing with regular tap water (I'm not an RODI required for everything guy), I let everything air dry for next use. You're putting quite an investment and time into each quarantined fish...the extra work will be worth it in the long run.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks @4FordFamily, I finished treatmen of fish. They went 14 days in copper. Then transferred to sterile tank. Ran two rounds of GC and followed with observation period. It has been three weeks of observation and fish are healthy and ready for display.

Question is, do I need re sterilize this QT tank the fish are coming out of? Before I add next batch of fish, coming out of a different tank i run the copper process in.
You don't have to. I would recommend doing so, I sterilize between most batches. Observation tanks every other batch or so.

"Better safe than sorry" is always a good motto to live by when dealing with reef tanks! No quarantine process is 100% fail-proof. I personally run some bleach (small amount) in my quarantine tanks after use for 24-48hrs, then drain and let dry...then wipe down again with 50:50 vinegar solutions...also soak the HOB filter, thermometer, heater, pvc fittings, etc... in 50:50 vinegar for a couple days as well afterwards. After rinsing with regular tap water (I'm not an RODI required for everything guy), I let everything air dry for next use. You're putting quite an investment and time into each quarantined fish...the extra work will be worth it in the long run.
This^^^ Is very similar to what I do.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For the reasons of biofilm and cloudiness (large biofilter can lead to cloudiness and bacterial blooms) for the next batch, yes I would.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach for biofilm
Vinegar to precipitate the copper into a harmless form
Hydrogen peroxide if there was a particularly nasty disease in the tank/equipment
Rinse and dry between each treatment.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back