Water Changes in Qt tank While Treating Ich?

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I had an emergency situation where I had to catch all fish out of the DT and put them in quarantine for ich treatment. They are all being treated with copper... day 3. I am just looking for some input on the process. Do I need to do regular water changes while in QT? I have lost 2 fish after they had been in QT, so I am just wondering if maybe I am not doing something correctly. How long does my DT need to stay fallow? How long is the treatment etc. TBH, I have never quarantined my fish, so this is new ground for me. And, yes... I will be quarantining my fish from this point forward. I appreciate all input!

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you're going to want to watch your ammonia levels. It can rise very quickly, especially if you're biofilter isn't established. I usually use an ammonia seachem badge. Just be sure to dose the copper into the water BEFORE adding to the QT. Otherwise you'll drop the copper levels and the clock restarts.

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor the ammonia level in your QT. The goal is 0 ammonia. If it moves past 0, do a water change. Make new saltwater that's at the same salinity and temperature of your QT. Then add the appropriate amount of copper to the new water BEFORE you do the water change. You're trying to maintain a constant level of copper in the QT. If that level falls below therapeutic, your treatment will not be successful.

I suggest a Seachem Ammonia Badge to help with ammonia monitoring. In my experience, the Hanna High Range Copper Test Kit is best for monitoring the copper level. Which copper are you using and what level are you currently at?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back