Water changes in QT with old tank water?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this will be an issue but like to ask those of you with more knowledge before I do something I'm not 100% sure about. I have fish in QT undergoing copper treatment. I have started doing small daily water changes rather than weekly or sometimes bi weekly changes on my DT. On one of my tanks I change 4 gallons a day. QT has 25 gallons of water. Is there any reason I can not treat the 4 gallons removed with copper then do daily 4 gallon water changes on the QT to help with ammonia removal rather than dumping it down the drain. Figure it will save on salt and rodi.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are asking can you pretreat your old DT water with copper and then do a water change on QT with it, yes you can.
if you are certain your display is clean of all diseases/ parasites then you are fine. I would only do this if my main tank was stable and nothing new was added for 6 months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't think this will be an issue but like to ask those of you with more knowledge before I do something I'm not 100% sure about. I have fish in QT undergoing copper treatment. I have started doing small daily water changes rather than weekly or sometimes bi weekly changes on my DT. On one of my tanks I change 4 gallons a day. QT has 25 gallons of water. Is there any reason I can not treat the 4 gallons removed with copper then do daily 4 gallon water changes on the QT to help with ammonia removal rather than dumping it down the drain. Figure it will save on salt and rodi.
If and only IF you have tested amount of ammonia in QT , you can and should change the water BUT be sure to restore the copper level to therapuetic (2.25-2.5) otherwise you interupt the 30 day cycle with the copper. What test kit are you using to monitor copper level ?
If display is fishless, while you can borrow water from it- no need to change it with nothing producing waste

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are asking can you pretreat your old DT water with copper and then do a water change on QT with it, yes you can.
if you are certain your display is clean of all diseases/ parasites then you are fine. I would only do this if my main tank was stable and nothing new was added for 6 months.

If and only IF you have tested amount of ammonia in QT , you can and should change the water BUT be sure to restore the copper level to therapuetic (2.25-2.5) otherwise you interupt the 30 day cycle with the copper. What test kit are you using to monitor copper level ?
If display is fishless, while you can borrow water from it- no need to change it with nothing producing waste

Display has fish but has had no new additions after all fish were treated with copper and tank ran fallow earlier this year If there is even a remote chance of this being bad I'll pass. I don't to want risk loosing fish just to save a couple bucks in salt. I have seeded sponges in the HOB and an ammonia badge in the tank. Using a Hanna tester to monitor copper daily tho using copper power it stays very consistent. I'll just mix new and use that after bringing the copper up to the correct level. I keep a brute can full of fresh mixed water so it's not difficult for me. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can do that. In fact, in the past, I've set up water re-use systems where I use water from a pristine reef to change water in a FOWLR and then use water from the FOWLR to hatch out brine shrimp.

The only issue, as mentioned is that you need to be sure that your DT has no disease issues festering in there.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, you can do that. In fact, in the past, I've set up water re-use systems where I use water from a pristine reef to change water in a FOWLR and then use water from the FOWLR to hatch out brine shrimp.

The only issue, as mentioned is that you need to be sure that your DT has no disease issues festering in there.

Jay
To me this is the difficult part. 'making sure there is no disease in the DT'. Otherwise - I might suggest - and Perhaps @Jay Hemdal can comment - taking out your DT water - putting it into another tank - getting the copper level up - and leaving it for 24 hours or so - to kill any free-swimming 'stuff'. Other than that totally agree with the rest.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time . I had a 25 gal qt
With every fish my dt at the time going through a ich treatment . Being in Canada the only product I could find at the time was formalin .

setting up a new tank has its risks alone with ammonia so the way I went around it was to use water from the dt to change 50% of the qt water and mix new water for the dt

changed the water and dosed the qt daily

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I don't want to risk it if there is even a remote chance of failure. I lost too many fish last time I had a disease outbreak and am trying to take every precaution to prevent it from happening again.
After you start the qt
Measure ammonia daily …

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you start the qt
Measure ammonia daily …
I have one of these. It worked well when I used it previously. I find that the large seeded sponges in the HOB filter really help as a bio filter.
Screenshot_20221015-195414_Chrome.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back