Water chemistry.....

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Im not stupid by any means, but reading about water chemistry makes my head feel like it's going to explode. I know the recommended ranges, but I don't know how to get certain levels up...or even if I should...loll. So... Here are my water parameters. Or the ones I test for anyway..
Sg- 1.025
Ph-8.4
Ca-380
Po4 -.25
Kh- 10dKH
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 10ppm

Anything look way off? And I was also wondering if I should use a different kit to test Po4. Im using API and its lowest reading on the color chart is zero... the next one is .25, which is where I am. But reading everyone else talk about Po4, mine seems really high. .. Dunno...

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should fine with those parameters but some softies like a lower dkh but the most important parameter is stability, if they jump around a lot might get some issues but softies are forgiven and don't mind a higher po4 just have to worry about nuisance algae. if your using a sump you can add some gfo to a filter bag and toss it in or add some chaeto. my best advice is don't chase numbers.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not let Ca get too much lower without doing something about it.....mostly just because it'll be a humongous adjustment when you do get around to it.

For example, currently it'd take 400mL of Recipe 2 to get you back up to 420ppm if you had a 50 gallon tank.

Reef Chemistry Calculator

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 10 gallon tank, water changes will be magic. In 15 minutes you can raise your Ca and Mg and other trace elements, while lowering your p04 and nitrates at the same time. Try to use a salt that is close to your 10 kh, Instant Ocean will do the trick @ about $.30/gal. For $3.00 you can change 100% of your water without worrying about water chemistry or exploding heads. I wouldn't do a 100% change all at once but a few 20% a day changes will balance things out.

If you are using all API kits your levels might be closer to "perfect" than you think. If I ran a 10g, I wouldn't even bother testing most levels. Make sure you have a good refractometer though.

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do my water changes (10%) once a week. And I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals in RODI water. Im pretty satisfied with the parameters. My only concern is the Ca. But, in 5 days it went from 360 to 380 ( after I did a water change) but I would like to bring it up more. I ordered B Ionic, I heard it was great... Any thoughts? I have no idea what Im doing...lol. Must be doing something right. My zoas I purchased on 2/2 had 6 polyps each. Now one has 13 and the other has 12. Growth is a good sign. Everything seems happy and healthy. I watch my corals like a hawk. If something doesn't look right, I test. Then I sometimes test the day after a water change. Other than that, I leave it alone. I have to say that Im pretty proud of myself. My first nano and its not been as hard as I thought. Everything has done well, and Ive not had big fluctuations in my parameters. I don't add any chemicals. Just use a carbon filter in the El Cheapo power filter. I had even planned to tear down the nano when I set up my 90 gallon, but Ive grown attached to it and just can't. So ill keep it as well.

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anything in ur tank is using up ur calcium, every time u change water ur parameters seem to change, sometimes there more cal than alk in that scoop of salt ur mixing, do a larger change every other week and check the parameters in the new water before the change and get it to where u want it by adding the EVS two part that u ordered, use the calculator from marine depot or BRS, then do your change and u should be fine, nitrates look fine but po4 is high, u might be getting allot of film in the glass or even green on the glass, buy an all in one bag of chemipure with gfo/carbon!!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers look pretty good to me. If you can swing it, Hanna Checkers makes a good phosphate test that's very accurate at low levels. The Ca is a little low but if there's very little demand it's not that bad. You could always buy the Ca part of a two-part dosing system to raise it. Ca, Mg, and Alk work together so they should be stable to keep the tank steady. Good luck!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back