Water Fit for a QT

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of water can be used for our QT tanks?

The cheapest route would be to use water from our DT. It is already the correct temperature and salinity we need. Most people, like me, typically dispose of their old DT water when performing a water change. The only risk involved is if you are not 200% certain your DT is disease free.

I used to use RODI water. It's guaranteed clean, but it puts more mileage on your filters.

what about tap water. No and NO! Maybe you're thinking to yourself, "but I could use a de-chlorinator and be ok". Not so. The water conditioner does not mix well with meds used in a QT tank. I have nor tried to do it this way on my own, so I cannot report the outcomes, but I will take others who are more experienced word for it.

You could always remove the DI chamber from your RODI system. I go through DI resin more than any other filter, so from an economic stand point, this would be best for me.

What kind of water do you all use in your QT? If you are mixing water for your QT, do you buy a different salt? Maybe one that is cheaper or mixes easier?

primo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use DT water, but my QT is always on. when it is time for a water change i toss the QT, fill from DT and mix new for DT.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the cheaper salt for QT and I get RO from the grocery store. It's cheap and safe.

I use my Spectrapure RODI for my DT only with the expensive reef salt.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheaper salt for the QT but still mix it new with rodi water. Instant ocean is cheap, easy and readily available :) My coral QT gets the same salt as my display. I simply make a little more than i normally would for the DT alone and the water changes at the same time.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back