Water from fallow DT to new QT

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use some water from my DT thats been fallow for months in a new QT setup? Just trying to help it cycle.

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make new clean water to start the QT just to be safe. You can seed media with bacteria from your tank to add to the QT then dose with bacteria also. Here's a link with the best breakdown of a QT I've seen. I'm new to this but setting up my QT right now as well so lots of reading.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use some water from my DT thats been fallow for months in a new QT setup? Just trying to help it cycle.
Very few bacteria will be conferred by the water itself, nitrifying bacteria live on substrates. What I do is run a sponge filter in the sump of the DT, and have it ready to use. However, you need to do that a couple of months in advance of needing it.
Depending on your set up, you might be able to rinse some beneficial bacteria off your filter media in the DT, or even off the sand.
Jay

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I have these bricks in my DT sump. Could I move a few to the QT? I'm just afraid of anything dormant living on it.

1633005112111.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I have these bricks in my DT sump. Could I move a few to the QT? I'm just afraid of anything dormant living on it.

1633005112111.png
No worries about anything dormant - you’ll be treating for common pathogens during quarantine, and then the fish move into the DT anyway.
Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back