Waterbox Cube 25 Peninsula Nano AIO build

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn’t quite sure where to put this build as it the tank fits in several categories.

I got into salt tanks a few years back. Started a tank, and eventually shut it down. Then, I started another tank as I missed the hobby, and wound up shutting that tank down too out of frustration. Last year I had the realization that I wasn’t happy in my career, so I walked out of my job and after some soul-searching I got a gig working as an aquarium service tech with a local aquarium shop.

The job’s great and it feeds my desire to work on saltwater tanks, but I miss having my own tank at home. So, with the wife’s blessing, I snagged this Waterbox Cube 25 Peninsula.

IMG_1074.jpeg

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a rockscape giving whatever fish I get many places to hide, as well as plenty of places to put coral.

What you’re seeing is the front peninsula side, the other sides and a view from above.

IMG_1122.jpeg
IMG_1123.jpeg
IMG_1124.jpeg
IMG_1125.jpeg

OP
OP
3000kelvin

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's where I currently stand with things.

My wife and I are moving in a month, so the tank is still dry, however I’ve been procuring equipment in the meantime. I wanted the tank to be as plug and play ready for the new place as much as possible.

I’m starting to seed my biomedia and live rock at the shop I work at on Monday. My day job is that of an aquarium service tech for a local aquarium company so I’ve got access to tanks that have been running for 10 years.

The Stand:

Waterbox doesn’t make a stand for this tank with peninsular cabinetry. My options were to buy the WB stand or find something else. I really like the stand I have for my freshwater tank project, so I found another stand for sale locally, and decided to use what was intended to be a freshwater stand, my peninsula stand. It’s not a true peninsula, but with where it’s going in the new place, the visible cables won’t be an issue. It’s a little longer than the tank, so I’ll be setting it up flush on the peninsula side, giving me room behind the tank to work. Inside the stand I’ve done the initial cable routing and management. Everything is labeled and plugged into a smart surge protector with 6 independent outlets. All cables are mounted to plastic pegboard I got on Amazon. I added LED lights to the cabinet as well as a USB fan to help keep things cool.

Chamber 1:

I’m going to leave the filter sock, for now. Got my eye on a few potential upgrades/changes but I want to give the sock a chance first. Going to have a bag of Matrix in the bottom of the first chamber.

Chamber 2:

Sponge, more Matrix and an Ice Cap K1 Nano Protein Skimmer. The skimmer I’m still iffy on because of the way it fits in the chamber. I’m not sure where the water level is going to be, but as I have it, the skimmer prevents my light bracket from being on a perfect center in the tank.

Chamber 3:

Sicce Syncra 1.0 return pump and Duetto ATO. Going to throw a heater in here as well.

Lighting:

AI Hydra 32HD with plans to run the Saxby program. Once the take is filled, I’ll be taking some PAR readings to see how the light being off center affects both sides of the peninsula.

Flow:

Originally, I planned on using an Ice Cap 2k Gyre with Hydros Wave Engine. However, after living with the tank and toying with gyre placements for the past month, I’m going to scrap this piece of gear. I fear that I’ll have dead spots if I run the gyre vertically off the back wall, and if I place the gyre directly in the center of the back wall, I feel like there’d be too much flow at the top of my rockscape. My solution is running an AI Nero 5 and an AI Nero 3 off the back wall of the tank.

Livestock:

I’ve got my heart set on a pair of clowns; mocha, mochavinci, or black ice. I’m also going to stock a Royal Gramma, Flame Hawkfish and possibly a Talbot’s Damsel.

Corals:

No sticks this time around.

AEAC8771-07A4-44EC-BC37-E2970C9CD3CA.jpeg
IMG_1208.jpeg
IMG_1211.jpeg
IMG_1212.jpeg
IMG_1269.jpeg
IMG_1271.jpeg
IMG_1278.jpeg
IMG_1294.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 1

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back