Wavemaker recommendations?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder with a sump that I'm trying to add some randomized flow to, and I found the Jebao wavemakers that seem to have pretty good reviews and are pretty cheap- does anybody have anything to say about these? If you have a recommendation for a similarly priced wavemaker that would also be greatly appreciated (I have a current loop system so those current loop wavemakers are certainly up for consideration). My tank is LPS dominated so I could certainly do with lower flow, but my current flow is really low so I'd like a bit of a boost.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao is Chinese patent stealing knockoff. They are also not high quality. If you care about quality things or the stealing of American and EU property by China, then look at some Tunze 6095 pumps, some WAV pumps or a smaller Gyre. Do not confuse patent stealing Chinese stuff (bad) with stuff that is made in China by good companies that follows fair trade rules and laws.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the Jabeo PP-5 & 8 wavemakers work, but haven't personally used them.

I used to use several Hydor koralia, which is a similar price point. But I got tired of them eventually failing and putting line AC voltage in my tanks.

I use ice cap gyre and MP40 now. Of course the price is much higher.

The best, but most expensive stuff, is ecotech MP and Tunze. You can find used if you look.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the Jabeo PP-5 & 8 wavemakers work, but haven't personally used them.

I used to use several Hydor koralia, which is a similar price point. But I got tired of them eventually failing and putting line AC voltage in my tanks.

I use ice cap gyre and MP40 now. Of course the price is much higher.

The best, but most expensive stuff, is ecotech MP and Tunze. You can find used if you look.
What size is your tank? And did you just put the koralias on a timer?

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank is a 125. It's been running around 7 years. I never ran them on a timer, just constant.

I wouldn't do that again. 2 of these would give you plenty of wide flow, and you can pivot them https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6025.html

Or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, 2 MP40s.
I have the opposite of money burning a hole in my pockets haha. Ideally, I'd be looking for something to give some pulse action, but if there's nothing worthwhile for <100 I guess I'll just add some constant flow powerheads

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option that lets you spread out your $. I just bought a rossmont mover. It's an A.C. powerhead so you can just plug it in. But they sell a controller separately that will allow wave and other standard functions.
All in it might be more $ than you plan, but perhaps the flexibility helps.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely recommend the Jebao wave makers. I had a PP-4 running on my 20L for 4 years before it stopped working, gave it a vinegar bath (first one ever! yeah I'm lazy) and now it's working fine. I really think they can't be beat for the price.

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever heard of uniclife? It's a new name for me but I found this:
Had two of these in my 6ft 125 they move a lot of water but had to replace them unfortunately my carpet anemone got sucked up injured but looks like it’s gonna make it . The holes are way too big, also when I would feed and turn them off my 3” tang would fit inside completely to hide always had to make sure no fish or snails went in before turning them back on. Changed to a Jebao crossflow Cp 150 and so far it only looks like I only need 1 running at 40% and corals look happier.

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option that lets you spread out your $. I just bought a rossmont mover. It's an A.C. powerhead so you can just plug it in. But they sell a controller separately that will allow wave and other standard functions.
All in it might be more $ than you plan, but perhaps the flexibility helps.
I have the rossmont movers and waver controller, and although the movers are awesome pumps for the money (I like them better than my mp40s) the waver is a horrendous piece of garbage. Thier app is just terrible and getting it setup is a nightmare. I finally got mine to work, but its frustrating to the point I would never even bother trying to change my settings. Its really a shame because the pumps are amazing and in theory the way they work is fantastic, but its like they hired a 3 year old who huffs paint to program thier app.

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely recommend the Jebao wave makers. I had a PP-4 running on my 20L for 4 years before it stopped working, gave it a vinegar bath (first one ever! yeah I'm lazy) and now it's working fine. I really think they can't be beat for the price.
Did you have it at full? Since my tank is double the volume I'm trying to figure out what I'd need. I was also looking at their gyre style wavemakers but these ones look good too. (The models are the CP models)

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the rossmont movers and waver controller, and although the movers are awesome pumps for the money (I like them better than my mp40s) the waver is a horrendous piece of garbage. Thier app is just terrible and getting it setup is a nightmare. I finally got mine to work, but its frustrating to the point I would never even bother trying to change my settings. Its really a shame because the pumps are amazing and in theory the way they work is fantastic, but its like they hired a 3 year old who huffs paint to program thier app.
Do you have an android? I know app developers usually neglect androids because there are so many more operating systems- if it's on iOS then there's really no excuse haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
E-Flux
Rio
Koralia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back